OS Name - MS Windows XP professional
Version - 5.1.2600 service pack 3 build
System Manufacturer - AWARD
System Model - AWRSACPl
System Type - X86-based PC
Processor - x86 family 15 Model 4 stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~3600Mhz
RAM - 512

Last programs installed - HP Photosmart C4343 All-In-One

My pc has been randomly shutting itself down without warning ever since I installed the HP software. By shutting down I mean it just suddenly turns itself off, like the power has been turned off.
I thought that perhaps there was a problem with the pc so I installed the HP software on another pc. Now the second pc is also randomly rebooting itself - it goes around and around in a loop until i turn the power off at the outlet. I've tried uninstalling the HP software on both pc's but the problem persists on both. The printer doesn't even have to be connected by the USB!
HP insist that if I've uninstalled the software it can't be a software issue but I ran an HP systems diagnostic program and it tells me the HP software is still on the pc!! HP then said i need to upgrade my RAM but i'm well over the system requiremnets for this printer. Now HP are telling me that my antivirus programs are seeing the HP software as a virus - not possible because the 2nd pc is not connected to the internet & only has windows firewall. HP also say that I need to 'update my motherboard' and all of my 'USB drivers'.
I've googled the problem but can't find a solution that i can make any sense of.

PC 1 turns itself off completely whenever I try to (for example) scan a document, back-up a DVD, copy a disk etc.
PC 2 reboots in a loop whenever I try to (for example) scan the external harddrive using Avast!, scan a drive etc.

Please can you give me some idea as to how I can go about fixing this problem.

Reply from Danny at HP total Care - (pity they didn't send this before I repaired XP using the installation CD. Now I have service pack 2 and the files they mention below are nowhere to be found on my C-drive.:(

Hello,

Thank you for writing back to HP Total Care.
I am Danny from HP All-in-One E-mail Technical Support Team.

I understand from your mail that you HP Photosmart C4343 All-in-One Printer and your computer shuts down without warning and second system goes into loop when scanned.

I would like to inform you that the MS Windows XP professional
Version - 5.1.2600 service pack 3 build has windows defender installed it will block the HP programs as virus. So I request you to follow the trouble shooting steps given below to resolve the issue you are experiencing.

1. Click the Windows Start Menu icon in the bottom corner of the screen. Once "Open" and go to Control Panel.

Select "Windows Defender" from the available icons. This opens the main Windows Defender interface.
Choose "Tools" from the top of the screen. This takes you to the main Windows Defender control list. Select "Options" from the list.
Scroll down to the bottom of the list. Uncheck the box that says "Use Windows Defender" and click "Save." A confirmation box will pop up so click "Continue" to move past it. One last box will appear telling you that Defender is turned off.
Unblock all HP programs and required Internet ports:

Use this method if your firewall is not in the preceding table.

Unblock all HP programs:

1. Open the C:\program files\HP\digital imaging\bin directory, and then locate the following files:
hpoews01.exe
hpofxm08.exe
hposid01.exe
hpqkygrp.exe
hpqste08.exe
hpqtra08.exe
hposfx08.exe
hpiscnapp.exe (for HP software v10.0 or later) OR
hpqscnvw.exe (for HP software v9.0 or earlier)

2. Open the C:\windows\system32 directory, and then locate the following files:
hpzwiz01.exe
hpznui01.exe

3. Make a note of or copy the file path for each file listed. The file paths should resemble the example: C:\windows\system32\hpzipm12.exe .

4. In the firewall software, make sure that each of these programs displays in the list of trusted or allowed programs. Add any missing programs to the list manually.

Note: The name of the list might vary, depending on the firewall program.

5. Make sure you allow each of the HP programs to access the Internet freely. This is necessary if the firewall software has different trust levels or requires specific permission for a program to access the Internet.

6. Click OK or Save to save the changes to the trusted or allowed program list.

If you need further assistance, please reply to this message and we will be happy to assist you further.

For information on keeping your HP and Compaq products up and running, please visit our Web site at:
http://www.hp.com/go/totalcare

Have a nice time. Thank you for choosing HP!
Sincerely,

Danny G
HP Total Care

OS Name - MS Windows XP professional
Version - 5.1.2600 service pack 3 build
System Manufacturer - AWARD
System Model - AWRSACPl
System Type - X86-based PC
Processor - x86 family 15 Model 4 stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~3600Mhz
RAM - 512

Last programs installed - HP Photosmart C4343 All-In-One

My pc has been randomly shutting itself down without warning ever since I installed the HP software. By shutting down I mean it just suddenly turns itself off, like the power has been turned off.
I thought that perhaps there was a problem with the pc so I installed the HP software on another pc. Now the second pc is also randomly rebooting itself - it goes around and around in a loop until i turn the power off at the outlet. I've tried uninstalling the HP software on both pc's but the problem persists on both. The printer doesn't even have to be connected by the USB!
HP insist that if I've uninstalled the software it can't be a software issue but I ran an HP systems diagnostic program and it tells me the HP software is still on the pc!! HP then said i need to upgrade my RAM but i'm well over the system requiremnets for this printer. Now HP are telling me that my antivirus programs are seeing the HP software as a virus - not possible because the 2nd pc is not connected to the internet & only has windows firewall. HP also say that I need to 'update my motherboard' and all of my 'USB drivers'.
I've googled the problem but can't find a solution that i can make any sense of.

PC 1 turns itself off completely whenever I try to (for example) scan a document, back-up a DVD, copy a disk etc.
PC 2 reboots in a loop whenever I try to (for example) scan the external harddrive using Avast!, scan a drive etc.

Please can you give me some idea as to how I can go about fixing this problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.