Hi folks,

My WinME box failed to startup. I followed the "Step by Step Confirmation". It hung on "msmouse.vxd". I tried "Y" as well as "N" (Esc) without a solution.

It happened since 2 days ago but I was luck to get it started with ""Step by Step Confirmation" procedure. So I did not make any attempt to adjust it.

Now the WinME box can't start. But I can start Safe Mode. Please advise how to fix this problem.

TIA

satimis

Contributors
Replies
Views
12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Catweazle

Right-click My Computer and choose 'Properties'. On Device Manager, locate the entry for your mouse. Right-click it and choose 'Uninstall'. Also locate any mouse driver entries which might appear in Add/Remove programs, and remove those too.

Reboot, and allow the mouse to be detected and installed with the inbuilt Windows mouse driver. See if it works OK then.

Hi Catweazle,

Tks for your advice.

Right-click My Computer and choose 'Properties'. On Device Manager, locate the entry for your mouse. Right-click it and choose 'Uninstall'.........

I can only start Safe Mode. In Safe Mode the mouse does not work. It is a USB mouse. Please advise how to uninstall the mouse drivers.

I'm not very knowledgeable in key-operation to replace the mouse.

TIA

B.R.
satimis

Hi Catweazle,

Further to my last posting. I got a P/S mouse to do the job as follows;

1) start Safe Mode
2) right click "My computer" -> Properties -> Device Manage -> Mouse
3) removing all mouse entries there
4) reboot WinME

Problem still occured hanging on "msmouse.vxd". I could not discover Add/Remove Programs on desktop.

Now "Mouse" disappears but the P/S 2 mouse is still working.

B.R.
satimis

Ad/remove Programs is in Control Panel. You'll no doubt have a mouse driver of some sort listed there, and you should remove it as it is likely to be corrupted.

Hi Catweazle,

There is something very strange happened here.

I just started the PC. WinME booted straightforwards without problem. Now it is working. I don't know whether I'll be so luck on next booting as it is now.

Please advise where shall I examine to check whether there are problems remaining.

TIA.

B.R.
satimis

Shut down and then power up. Do a restart. Repeat both those alternatives several times each. See if the problem returns.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.