i have a custom built running windows xp, it has a asus p4p800 motherboard with a nvidia geforce 5700 video driver. this machine is a dino but very reliable. when i finished running windows updates i rebooted and the monitor now goes to sleep after the xp screen. tried to get into bios but the keyboard does not respond either. don't know what to do, ran other monitors on it with the same results. please help me save this old friend.

Recommended Answers

All 52 Replies

Will it boot up to your OS Cd?

i first tried booting with the the monitor install cd , it did a file check then went to sleep again. found the xp disc , tried that, and it went to sleep after the xp window. turned off the power , waiting to try again.

Did you boot your PC to the OS CD?
It should not go to "sleep" if booted from CD.

These are Microsoft's instructions on how to access the repair console, If you can get here, we can try to correct your problem, please try and get back to us.

Starting the Windows Recovery Console from the Windows XP CD-ROM

Insert the Windows XP CD into your CD drive and restart your computer. If you are prompted, select any options required to start (boot) from the CD.
When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts. Select the repair or recover option by pressing R.
If you have a dual-boot or multiboot system, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
When you are prompted, type the Administrator password.
At the command prompt, type Recovery Console commands, and then you can refer to the commands that are listed in the "Available commands within Windows Recovery Console" section.
At any time, you can type Help for a list of available commands.
At any time, you can type Help commandname for help on a specific command. For example, you can type help attrib to display the help on the attributes command.
At any time, you can exit Windows Recovery Console by typing Exit at the command line.

thanks for the info,i did boot from os cd and to no avail, it went to sleep after the xp window came up. i pulled the power and now i'm about to try to boot from cd again. let you know what happens next.

You have lost me, what XP window came up? The normal XP booting window? It should have come up with a blue screen and started coping files, did it get that far?

You have lost me, what XP window came up? The normal XP booting window? It should have come up with a blue screen and started coping files, did it get that far?

when i booted with the samsung monitor cd it went to the blue checking file screen, then right to the xp boot window, then turned off. when i booted from the os cd it went to the xp boot window then off. trying one more time.

OK, lets go back a bit further, do you get the screen saying "Press any key to boot from CD"?
If, yes, is that where it shows the XP screen and shuts down?

when i booted with the samsung monitor cd it went to the blue checking file screen, then right to the xp boot window, then turned off. when i booted from the os cd it went to the xp boot window then off. trying one more time.

ok so i tried to reboot with xp cd , again no blue file check screen , just straight to the xp boot window and off.:'( can't get to the bios menu as the keyboard is not responding.

OK, lets go back a bit further, do you get the screen saying "Press any key to boot from CD"?
If, yes, is that where it shows the XP screen and shuts down?

yes i did get the press any key screen but my keyboard is not responding

OK, I think I understand now.
Can you borrow a PS2 keyboard, that is one that is not plugged in to the USB but the little round plug ?
Remove your motherboard battery for a few minutes, not seconds, then try to use you keyboard again to access the BIOS

OK, I think I understand now.
Can you borrow a PS2 keyboard, that is one that is not plugged in to the USB but the little round plug ?
Remove your motherboard battery for a few minutes, not seconds, then try to use you keyboard again to access the BIOS

already using a ps2 keyboard. i'll remove the battery and see what happens.

I have to go very soon, if I do not reply to your next post, some one else here should be able to help you soon.

I have to go very soon, if I do not reply to your next post, some one else here should be able to help you soon.

thanks for your help. i got it go to the screen that lets you choose safe mode or normal startup, but the up, down arrows didn't respond

Hi,
Good you got somewhere, keep trying it may work next time, I have to go. Sorry about my confusion, I read and then forgot that your keyboard was not working. No wonder you could not access BIOS.
Try accessing the BIOS now and set the CD as first boot and then try to boot to CD again OK.

Hi,
Good you got somewhere, keep trying it may work next time, I have to go. Sorry about my confusion, I read and then forgot that your keyboard was not working. No wonder you could not access BIOS.
Try accessing the BIOS now and set the CD as first boot and then try to boot to CD again OK.

ok, i will. and thanks again.

ok, i will. and thanks again.

ok , gonna open up the patient and take out the battery. be back with the outcome in a bit.

ok , gonna open up the patient and take out the battery. be back with the outcome in a bit.

ok, all power was turned off and battery was taken out. now what? i put everything back in it's place and fired her up with xp os cd and nothing..... the only thing is , does the batt. go in positive side first or is it facing out? i'm a simp..... have pitty on me

Hello,

is this a USB or PS/2 keyboard?

I have fitted many batteries but I have never looked which is + or -, I think it is the + side in first but what ever it is the biggest flat side (battery details stamped on it) is to be facing out.

Hello,

is this a USB or PS/2 keyboard?

sorry it took so long to get back, duties of being a dad called. the key board is a ps2. my problem is that on the start of a reboot after a windows update my monitor went into sleep mode at the xp startup window. in the past threads i was told various things to try. the last thing i did was turn off the power, unplug the power cords and take out the battery. when i put everything back and tried to boot from the xp os cd, i got no response from the monitor. so now i turn it on and i don't get the short error beep, and my monitor seems to not be talking with the pc. i hope this brings you up to speed, any help would be gratefully appreciated.

I have fitted many batteries but I have never looked which is + or -, I think it is the + side in first but what ever it is the biggest flat side (battery details stamped on it) is to be facing out.

thanks Bob, again your talking to a simp here. luckily i i did i right.

I don't think it would matter as far as doing any damage is concerned as it would be next to impossible to have the contacts touch both terminals if you put it in backwards, both contacts in the battery socket would be touching the same terminal (Pole). It would just not work.
Is it working?

I don't think it would matter as far as doing any damage is concerned as it would be next to impossible to have the contacts touch both terminals if you put it in backwards, both contacts in the battery socket would be touching the same terminal (Pole). It would just not work.
Is it working?

that would be a no go , the monitor puts up a vga icon with a ? on the screen when i unplug it from the pc, so the monitor is talking to the pc , but the pc is not recognizing the monitor, the keyboard and mouse.

It sounds like you have knocked something when you did the battery. Check every connection going into and out of the motherboard and other hardware.

It sounds like you have knocked something when you did the battery. Check every connection going into and out of the motherboard and other hardware.

everything has been triple checked and checked once more after that. still nothing. was wondering if trying to boot with the mother board cd or the video card cd or even with the monitor cd would help?

everything has been triple checked and checked once more after that. still nothing. was wondering if trying to boot with the mother board cd or the video card cd or even with the monitor cd would help?

sorry , got to go for a bit . if i can't figure it out i'll be back on later. thanks for your help.

If your RAM has a bad connection it will stop a video signal. Remove the RAM, clean the contacts with a pencil eraser and replace.

If your RAM has a bad connection it will stop a video signal. Remove the RAM, clean the contacts with a pencil eraser and replace.

thanks bob, i'll give that a try. i'll post in awhile to let you know how it works.

thanks bob, i'll give that a try. i'll post in awhile to let you know how it works.

ok, took out the video card , the four ram sticks and the sound card and cleaned the terminals with rubbing alcohol and still nothing, but my lights on the keyboard light up now. going to do some reading, try some other things out. if anyone has any other ideas, feel free to post, thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.