On my PC, I used to be part of a domain so all my preferences were stored in C:\Documents and Settings\stimpy.DOMAIN

I don't use the Domain anymore and I changed to workgroup (so I could do some home sharing) and when I log in it pulls my preferences from C:\Documents and Settings\stimpy and effectively all the last two years of customization is lost.

All the C:\Documents and Settings\stimpy.DOMAIN files are still there, but how can I have them apply when I log in?

TIA!!!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Just to update, I have tried System Restore a bunch of times going back about 7 restore points, and each time it says cannot restore your system. It starts out fine saying it will switch me from Workgroup to Domain, but upon reboot it always says cannot restore system. Is this not possible with Windows XP?

Due to domain security you cannot do this. Your preferences can only be accessed over the domain so you will eather have to recconect to the domain or manually copy the files

#microsoftfail =)

Due to domain security you cannot do this. Your preferences can only be accessed over the domain so you will eather have to recconect to the domain or manually copy the files

#microsoftfail =)

Thanks for the reply. Do you think I could boot up into safe mode and rename the C:\Documents and Settings\stimpy.DOMAIN tree to C:\Documents and Settings\stimpy?

Thanks for the reply. Do you think I could boot up into safe mode and rename the C:\Documents and Settings\stimpy.DOMAIN tree to C:\Documents and Settings\stimpy?

I don't see why not but I sugest rather than renaiming them you copy the files and replace all just so you don't screw anything up by removing WORKGROUP files

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.