Well hopefully someone can help me find a way around this...

Recently my old desktop's power supply failed and I felt that was a good reason to get an entirely new desktop. I ordered the pieces and assembled them and my new computer is now running Vista. I'm adjusting to the new OS and getting used the the much greater speed of my new desktop but I've hit a snag. I moved the old HDD into the new system assuming I would be able to access all of my old files (In addition I bought a new blank HDD which is what the OS is running off of). This is not the case. For almost all the documents in the My Documents folder I cannot seem to set the security to allow me to access them. I have played with the settings in the "Security" tab for the different files and folders but when I try to access the actual files my computer informs me that I am not allowed to access MY files. The settings show that I have full access to the files but I still cannot open them, pictures, videos, music, or text document. All of which are very important to me as a poor student. I also do not have sufficient authority to move the files from the old HDD to the new one. If anyone knows of a way around this or how to fix the security settings so I can access all the files on my old HDD I will love you forever. I promise.

Thanks for any and all help,
Justin

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! This was perfect!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.