I purchased a USB to IDE/SATA adapter, successfully removed a corrupt hard drive from a Dell Dimension 2400 running XP Home SP3, connected it to my Laptop via USB, (WinXP Pro) recognized the drive but could not run anything on the drive without the message that the drive could not be read, it was corrupt. I did manage to run a little bit of Malwarebytes but it was extremely slow, so I gave up. I really had hoped of running CHKDSK on it, but couldn't.
What I need to know is, should I Format the corrupt drive while it is hooked to a usable Laptop through Disk Mgmt, then reinstall it into to the original computer and attempt to put Windows XP back on it? All I have is the Dell REinstallation/repair disk, but it claims to be bootable. I was never able to boot to it before because I believe the system was too far gone. If it's not bootable, that is another problem.
Any advice would be appreciated, I've devoted the best part of my week to this little project.
Thanks
Tim

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Can you format an external drive while connected to a laptop? Yes.
"All I have is the Dell REinstallation/repair disk," Is it for the Dell Dimension 2400 you want to put the drive in? You won't be able to use it if it is for a different type of machine.
It sounds like the drive is faulty, I would download a program from the drive manufacturer and check the drive with that.
If your OS CD is not bootable (it should be) but is OK to use with the machine, download nlite
http://www.nliteos.com/
slilpstream it with SP3 etc and nlite will make it bootable.

Can you format an external drive while connected to a laptop? Yes.
"All I have is the Dell REinstallation/repair disk," Is it for the Dell Dimension 2400 you want to put the drive in? You won't be able to use it if it is for a different type of machine.
It sounds like the drive is faulty, I would download a program from the drive manufacturer and check the drive with that.
If your OS CD is not bootable (it should be) but is OK to use with the machine, download nlite
http://www.nliteos.com/
slilpstream it with SP3 etc and nlite will make it bootable.

Yes, it is the original Dell Reinstallation CD that came with the computer, but I could not boot to it. That is why I accessed the drive via USB, in hopes of running diagnostics or CHKDSK... with no luck.
Do you think reformatting might allow me to reinstall it to the original computer and then boot up to the disk? Could a corrupt drive be the cause of not being able to boot to the CD?
Thanks

Now I'm really confused. I ran the WD software HD test and it passed. I cannot read, write or run any other commands on this drive.

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: WDC WD80 0BB-75FJA1
Unit Serial Number: N/A
Firmware Number: 3G14
Capacity: 80.00 GB
SMART Status: Not Available
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 11:12:28, December 03, 2009

I actually have the same problem if someone could please answer that would be greatt

I finally got it to work. After hooking up the corrupt hard drive (jumpered as Master) to a USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE Hard Drive Adapter via my laptop, I was able to run a command line: CHKDSK /f E:
It worked, fixed errors, accessed the Dell Resource CD in my drive and copied files, then opened up a folder where I could view everything on the hard drive.
Success! Just not sure why I couldn't run CHKDSK the first 9 times.
Tim

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.