Hey guys I have no clue as to why my computer keeps defaulting my memory to 2 GB every time I reboot my computer. I have 4 GB installed and it runs at 3.25 GB on win XP on the first run. I found out that if I boot my computer to BIOS then turn it off and pull my ram out and reinstall the ram it goes back to 4 GB but only for that boot.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Hi
well dear your ram is fine but xp have problem windows xp did't modify for the 4gb ram so that is why windows xp not showing your 4gb ram. install windows vista and check, windows vista will show you 4gb ram in windows.

Thanks
Regards

Nothing to do with XP. Everything to do with whether or not one has a 64bit operating system.
If your XP is only 32bit, then 4Gb of RAM will not be recognised. Same goes for Vista.

Nothing to do with XP. Everything to do with whether or not one has a 64bit operating system.
If your XP is only 32bit, then 4Gb of RAM will not be recognised. Same goes for Vista.

true, but it shouldn't revert back to only 2gig,unless that's all the motherboard supports ,what is make and model # of your motherboard

Hey guys thanks for posting. My motherboard is a Gigabyte EX58-UD3R. My friend has identical hardware as me but I installed windows 7 x32, then x64 then after thinking it was just windows 7 I went back to windows XP. I know that windows XP doesnt support 4 GB of ram (it goes up to 3.25 GB with prof) but for some reason it keeps defaulting and if I dont do the temp fix (remove and reinstall my memory) my computer will crash.

Thanks again for the help guys. I'm thinking that when I buy a new case I'm going to repaste my cpu and put everything back together myself because my computer was put together by people at the computer store because they sold me a broken MoBo.

Have you tried resetting your bios then setting optimised defaults :).

I did that a while ago and it ended up working the same as unplugging the ram and reinstalling it. I read some where that memory can be effected if you install the cpu wrong, would this do anything or was the guy full of bs.

I call bs :).

Hey guys I have no clue as to why my computer keeps defaulting my memory to 2 GB every time I reboot my computer. I have 4 GB installed and it runs at 3.25 GB on win XP on the first run. I found out that if I boot my computer to BIOS then turn it off and pull my ram out and reinstall the ram it goes back to 4 GB but only for that boot.

Thanks

I had a similar situation, my video card caused ram to disappear. Try a different vid card. (unless you have onboard vid)

I would really really hate it if my video card was causing the problem because I bought the ATI 5850.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.