organics1 0 Newbie Poster

In 2007 I was desperately seeking help to remove the pre-installed Vista from my new Gateway MX8711. The company refused to help. But thanks to advise from DaniWeb folks and some other geekers around the globe I was directed to NLite, gathered up a couple dozen drivers here and there, and was able to easily remove Vista and Install XP pro.
Last year, however, I became fascinated with the new SSDs and bought an Intel 80-gig unit. But when I tried to install XP the product code of the OEM version I bought from a national chain wouldn't work, and Microsoft told me I was SOL.
So, I put Vista on the new SSD. VOILA! It worked nearly as good as XP. Yes, there were a few typical Vista problems, but nothing major, and nothing my Process Lasso couldn't quickly put an end to.
Then, a few months ago I upgraded to Windows 7. For my needs, it's perfect. So far, no crashes, no blips, no errors.
Now, SSD aside, I'm sure much of this has to do with the fact that I do routine housekeeping 4 or 5 times a week: CCleaner; PC Pitstop; AVG internet monitoring (paid version); Adware Away; and Process Lasso always in the background.
I'm a writer/researcher, so I'm on the internet all the time, and constantly exchanging graphics and large files with associates. I've always got several programs (like Quark Xpress, Publisher, etc.) open at once, and multi-tasking is a must. But I NEVER play video games (I'm nearly 60, and have neither the time nor the interest), and this may be a big factor in the ease with which I keep my system running smoothly.

The SSD in the laptop is so quiet that I've given my monster jet-engined desktop to my college student stepson...and I'm never going back---unless I decide to build a desktop with SSDs and state-of-the-art water cooling.
Right now, my home office is so quiet I can actually THINK, and besides keyboard tapping, all I hear is the purring of my cat Gizmo as he reclines contentedly on my lap.