Hello, I am just getting done with college and have a lot of knowledge and experience with hardware and software troubleshooting in Windows and I have always wanted to start a business so I figured why not a computer repair business. I am trying to figure out everything that I will need and I have run into a problem. I am sure I will come across, for example, someone with a Dell pc that does not have a recovery disk. In this situation what exactly would I do? Do I need to get a disk from every manufacturer for every version of windows? Would a basic OEM disk, for example, xp home work for any OEM pc like Dell, hp, Compaq, etc? I was just wondering what Windows disks I am going to need to have on hand so I could prepare myself and get some of this stuff in advance before I get my business up and running. Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

Hello, I am just getting done with college and have a lot of knowledge and experience with hardware and software troubleshooting in Windows and I have always wanted to start a business so I figured why not a computer repair business. I am trying to figure out everything that I will need and I have run into a problem. I am sure I will come across, for example, someone with a Dell pc that does not have a recovery disk. In this situation what exactly would I do? Do I need to get a disk from every manufacturer for every version of windows? Would a basic OEM disk, for example, xp home work for any OEM pc like Dell, hp, Compaq, etc? I was just wondering what Windows disks I am going to need to have on hand so I could prepare myself and get some of this stuff in advance before I get my business up and running. Thanks in advance.

First off: don't start a computer repair business. You'll work long hours and never make any money. Learn programming, get your BS degree.

To be blunt, if you had enough experience to run your own computer repair business, you would know the answer to this question.

If you look on the side of a computer built by a name brand manufacturer, you will see a license sticker with the license key on it. That license gives you the right to install one copy of that OS on one machine. You can use any disc to accomplish this. I just keep an ISO of all the Windows versions I might need to install so I can burn a disc when I need to.

If the user has a computer with no license sticker and can't find their license key, then that user has to buy a copy of Windows.

Well I do not think the fact that I do not know all about OEM disks makes me not qualified to start a computer repair business. From people I have talked to before about this question they use torrents to get disks like these and yet they are good enough to be techs... I have built computers, done hardware troubleshooting, software troubleshooting, and network problems working in the IT department for my college but I have never had to install OEM software because of it being a college and the fact that they have enterprise editions of windows. I just wanted to do it the right way and know what I needed to get before hand. I plan to do computer repair and on top of that setups for small businesses. What I mean by this is going to their business and setting up everything that they need including the hardware, software, network, and servers. I have taken 3 programming classes so far in college and at first that is what I was going to do but I hate it. I would much rather be my own boss and start up a repair business. I know that you most likely would never make a ton of money just doing computer repair but like I said that was just going to be a part of it.

I know that you most likely would never make a ton of money just doing computer repair but like I said that was just going to be a part of it.

thats a fact!
what I do when a person has no recovery disk for there Dell [or any other customer with no windows disks]is just use a copy of a non oem disk,what ever version of windows they have ,only downside is you have to go to Dell site using there service tag and get all the drivers ,upside you don't get all the Dell shit and 60 day trials of this and that crap .
good luck with you new venture

No you don't have to get a new copy of Windows. I have SPOTMAU and I am sure there is another product that will find the product key, like SPOTMAU that retrieves the Product Key even if Windows dos NOT start from SPOTMAU's BOOT DISC You see it boots from a format like LINUX and that does NOT need Windows. But, yeah if you did not know that you are a beginner. DELL told me that you can use any Windows Disc over 12 years ago. I am doing this since 1990. But study up some more and do programming and you can do the computer reapirs in your sleep.
Cheers

Well I do not think the fact that I do not know all about OEM disks makes me not qualified to start a computer repair business. From people I have talked to before about this question they use torrents to get disks like these and yet they are good enough to be techs... I have built computers, done hardware troubleshooting, software troubleshooting, and network problems working in the IT department for my college but I have never had to install OEM software because of it being a college and the fact that they have enterprise editions of windows. I just wanted to do it the right way and know what I needed to get before hand. I plan to do computer repair and on top of that setups for small businesses. What I mean by this is going to their business and setting up everything that they need including the hardware, software, network, and servers. I have taken 3 programming classes so far in college and at first that is what I was going to do but I hate it. I would much rather be my own boss and start up a repair business. I know that you most likely would never make a ton of money just doing computer repair but like I said that was just going to be a part of it.

No you don't have to get a new copy of Windows. I have SPOTMAU and I am sure there is another product that will find the product key, like SPOTMAU that retrieves the Product Key even if Windows dos NOT start from SPOTMAU's BOOT DISC You see it boots from a format like LINUX and that does NOT need Windows. But, yeah if you did not know that you are a beginner. DELL told me that you can use any Windows Disc over 12 years ago. I am doing this since 1990. But study up some more and do programming and you can do the computer reapirs in your sleep.
Cheers

Thats a good thinking when you have knowledge about computer repair then just go for it.

Hey why cant you try for [plug deleted],they may help you,because i experienced with them they really provide good customer service as they have lots of requirements with them and many more

commented: The last post is one year ago +0

Spotmau is the best and always finds the product key every time.

commented: don't feed the zombie -3

Spotmau is the best and always finds the product key every time.

belarc advisor will give keys of all software installed that uses a key ,works on any working computer
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Well Caperjack you are right IF you can get into Windows. If not, (you did not read the other comments) you have to use a bootable disc and SPOTMAU uses a version of UNIX (LINUX)then you can use its tools to read a product key Comprente?

I would seriously advise against this having done the same thing myself. Not saying it's impossible but possibly impractical. The only way I would do computer repairs is to sell computers I personally hand built set them up on a network and handle all the backups and just reimage the machines on a consistant basis. Even then you would be looking at a monthly charge, but the idiots could have there constant swarm of viruses and malware handled sweetly for them. And wouldn't be calling you every 10 min after you fix it and they let their dogs walk around the tower laying on the ground while the kids are smashing the keyboard and randomly powering it off.

How good are you at repairing laptops? I am co-owner of a small computer repair business and at least %80 of the work that we get is laptops. From replacing power sockets to diagnosing and repairing dead laptops. There is a heck of a lot to learn. Opening some laptops up without breaking the casing and small components is a nightmare when it's a machine you haven't worked on before.

If you don't do laptops you wont get enough work!

How good are you at repairing laptops? I am co-owner of a small computer repair business and at least %80 of the work that we get is laptops. From replacing power sockets to diagnosing and repairing dead laptops. There is a heck of a lot to learn. Opening some laptops up without breaking the casing and small components is a nightmare when it's a machine you haven't worked on before.

If you don't do laptops you wont get enough work!

Yeah that's a great point to. Fixing desktops is one thing but why would I spend $200 and up to repair a desktop when I got a brand spanking new one that screams for $800 laptops are definatly a little bit more expensive to just go buy a new one if the one you have isn't do it for ya anymore.

If you want to start a business then go for it. But what has been said is true, there's not much money in it. Don't put all your trust into it.

That said, set some rules for you business. Like don't work on machines older than XP or something. It will just save your time and trouble. Efficiency is what is it goign to be all about.

I work at a retail store and do some general everyday computer repairs. Most people have problems with virus/malware. Sometimes is easier to just restore the computer, depending on whether or not the person is concerned with their data. (Some absolutely don't care about data). When restoring a computer, remind yourself as often as you can to look for the partitioned recovery program on the computer. You won't need a disc and if you recover the computer with that partition, it will contain all necessary drivers.

Like I said, it's all about efficiency.

Aside from that, data recovery would be a popular thing to become familiar with. And of course, laptop repairs. So many people have problems with broken power plugs, display detached from body, broken/missing keys, etc. Laptop repair is becoming a little bit more of a necessity nowadays.

If you can't efficiently fix a computer, people will just buy a new one.

Just some ideas. Again, props for starting a business no your own! Don't worry about what you don't know now, people always learn as they go. You have a good foundation.

This thread is already a year old. please post in a new thread please. Thanks

Good Idea Jingda. If he didn't get the idea yet we did not explain it enough and I don't think so. But one more thing. IF, you do have a business make sure you get NORTON HOST or another program that will backup the whole computer after you fix it. I would even suggest they buy it and a backup external drive. At least if it doesn't have the partition you are not looking for drivers. After 5 years I think that most computer companies to not have replacement factory restore discs. Also some put the restore disc creator on the computer which allows one copy. Remember most people do not even know you can restore it.

commented: I just said in my previous post don't revive zombie thread yet you just did. This thread discussion is already closed no point continuing it -2

hi , i suggest investigate the business climate in your region. meaning the established competition meaning local tech shops with million dollar assets that gain big from selling new computers to hapless home computer owners , and who might resent a garage based startup depriving them of new computer sales with $50 maintenance jobs

I think a year is enough to kill this thread or the person should not start a business for anything. My opinion.

commented: Precisely +10
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.