Hello,

I am writing a PhD thesis and require some help numbering my figures and tables. I use Word 2003 and would like Word to restart numbering of my figures and tables after each chapter (NOTafter each section). For example, captions of figures/tables in Chapter 1 should read Figure/Table 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc, and captions of figures/tables in Chapter 2 should appear as Figure/Table 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, and so on. I use the built-in Heading 1 style for chapters.

When I go through the Insert/Reference/Caption routine, the caption label and numbering seem to be fine with the correct chapter and figure numbers (I ticked the "Include chapter number" and assigned Heading 1 for "Chapter starts with style" option).
So far so good! However, the problem is when I click OK after doing all of these settings, for some reason the Chapter number field in the caption for the desired figure/table does not appear correctly, rather it appears as "0" instead of the correct chapter number and this happens in all chapters. For example, Figure 1.4 in chapter 1 appears as Figure 0.4, Figure 2.6 appears as Figure 0.6, etc. The same problem happens with tables.

Is there any suggestions to resolve this problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Try to make one style for caption for each chapter.
Sometime word are continuing the previous numbering, event hough you already change chapter.

Does it automagically fix itself when you update the TOC? Sometimes mine does that.

Also, if you're in IT/CS/similar field and writing a technical/engineering/etc. thesis, have you considered LaTeX rather than MS word?

I have exactly the same problem. After pressing ok, the number of the chapter changes from 2 to 0 so instead of Figure 2.1,I have Figure 0.1.
I tried to update TOC, but it did not solve the problem.
Could you please help ?

Can you uninstall word and reinstall it again, also scan your computer for virus and malware.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.