Everytime i tried to install my nancy drew game, the installshield wizard keeps showing up and i can't play my game. Is there something i can do or change so i can play my games?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I think more info is needed. Like is there any error messages when you want to play the game? Have you install the game properly? Is the CD faulty?

There are no errors in any of my games. Four of my games won't play. I have Windows 7 Home Premium and I did install my games properly but I still get the same results.

Lady, I must assume that because you have installed the game it is a Play or cinematics disc that you are having trouble with? .
Anyway, try this: open My Computer and rclick on your cd/dvd drive [you don't need a disc in it]. In Properties, select the Autoplay tab. Then choose Mixed content in the menu, press Select an action to perform, highlight Take no action.... and Apply.
That should stop Explorer opening the cd and finding the Autoplay file which starts Installshield, rather the cd drive will wait until your game program calls it.

Now I have another problem. Two of my games won't play. when I put my game in the hard drive, it keep saying INSERT CD. And when i click OK nothing happens. Can you tell me what the problem is so I can try and fix it?

Were you able to use these two game disks before, Lady? Are they cds or dvds? To check that the disks and your drive are both in good condition and compatible first exit your game, then insert one of the problem disks, open Explorer [My Computer] and check if you can see files on it. Check the other disk. Tell us if you can see files, please.

I put all three of my CD games in and they all have their files, and I still get the message "NANCY DREW INSERT CD AND PRESS OK TO PLAY OR EXIT GAME TO QUIT GAME. Is there something you can help me out about my games?

Lady, if after you insert the cd you then press the F5 key does it accept the cd?
Could you please do this:
==Please copy the text in the box to a notepad [format/wordwrap unchecked] and save as showkey.bat to your desktop; dclick it to run, then post the file showkey.txt

reg query HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom /v autorun >showkey.txt
start showkey.txt

how do I do that?

Just follow those instructions. Or if you have, just give me the value of autorun... it should be 1 or 0.eg:
autorun REG_DWORD 0x1
is a value of 1.
OR: autorun REG_DWORD 0x0
is a value of 0.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.