Last night I was having a problem with my computer in that I was unable to type my password into the login screen. The keyboard was working fine as I was able to press ESC and go into the boot menu so this couldn't have been the problem. However, I think something may have happened the keyboard after this point as once I was at the login screen, the numlock light was on but wouldn't turn off, nor would the caps light turn on. Also, pressing ctrl,alt,del did nothing either.

I read a few solutions to this problem and one was that it may have been a USB problem and that, and as strange as it sounds, all I would have to do is disconnent the computer from the power source and leave it 15minutes.

I turned the computer off (by holding in the power button) and then unplugged it and left it over night. (could my method of turning the computer off initially have been part of the problem?)

When I went to turn it back on this morning, nothing would happen. The light is still blinking after about 20minutes and holding in the power button doesn't seem to do anything.

Oh and one other thing that happened which is probably the route of all these problems. Right before the login screen error I was browsing the net and had a few pop ups and the computer was running very slow. Then an error message appeared or a few seconds before the computer shut itself down. The message said something like "Registry changed" but it might not have been exactly this, as I said, it only appeared for a matter of seconds.

What could this problem boil down to? There is a lot of important stuff on the hard drive so I am seriously hoping it will be retrievable.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

When you switch on does the computer make beeping sounds? Can you switch off again with the power button?
Switching off with the power button is not a problem, this is usually done in case of emergencies, and will not fail your system at any point.
Your problem could be with the BIOS or your motherboard itself, and also just to be on the safe side, try booting with a Windows CD or a Linux LiveCD.

There are no beeping sounds when I turn it on. In fact, I don't even have to turn the computer on. As soon as I plug in the power cable or flick the switch on the wall, the light immediately begins to flash. The power button doesn't do anything when I press it regardless of how long I hold it in.

I can't boot the machine because i can't get it to turn on. None of the disk drives will open or anything.

When you switch on does the computer make beeping sounds? Can you switch off again with the power button?
Switching off with the power button is not a problem, this is usually done in case of emergencies, and will not fail your system at any point.
Your problem could be with the BIOS or your motherboard itself, and also just to be on the safe side, try booting with a Windows CD or a Linu

I have the same problem and waiting to hear if this fixes yours.

I think may be you have problem in the power supply. Bring a new one and check. Hope you will get the result.

Tried using a different power cable. Still the same outcome.

When it said "register changed" what does that mean?

It sounds to me that you may have more than one problem going on. While the popups and “register changed” (could you have meant registry?) are indicative of malware infection; this should not prevent the system from at least booting to the BIOS.

You did the right thing by leaving it unplugged for a while; do you happen to have another system with similar specifications that you could barrow parts from? If so I’d start with the keyboard and mouse (I realize that may sound strange but I have seen one or both of those cause similar issues).

Next I’d try swapping out the memory (or at least taking extra DIM’s out and trading them, attempting to power into the BIOS each time (note you'll need at least one in there)), then try the power supply, and finally the video card.

I’m sorry to say that if you can’t at least get to the BIOS you may be out of luck…

Power lamp blinking? I'd say the Power Good check was cycling because a voltage to the mb is being pulled down by a failed component. Check voltages with mb plugged and unplugged.

If you can't turn on then I assume the problem may be with the PSU, try borrow one if possible to test, if still not able to turn on then I would recommend to check each hardware (incl. mouse/keyboard/usb devices) to see if you can get a response when a specific one is disabled/removed.
Also if you can run a test on the motherboard, that is if you have a 2nd pc, try connecting it there to see if it works properly with that pc's hardware...

Power is now switching on. I left the machine on for quite a while and came back nad the blinking had stopped. Now I am stuck with the same problem of not being able to type in the password. Should I do a system restore? I am worried that I may lose files on the hard drive, it is very important that I do not lose this data.

I think something is happening with the keyboard. Once the machine boots up and gives me the option of going to the system restore menu, I am able to do that. I can also get the caps lock and num lock light to switch on and off. However, once I choose to start windows and it begins loading. The keyboard seems to stop working, however the lights will remain on but I am unable to turn them off.

When it gets to the login screen when I click on my name to type my password the cursor stays as the hand image with the pointing finger.

Does anyone have a solution for me?

Problem is not your actual keyboard, then. So you are able to enter Safe mode, then? System Restore will not cause you to lose any data files.... it does not back them up in any way, only changes to pgms and Windows are wound back.
Do you have any sort of flash keyboard with its own drivers, or are you using std Windows drivers for it [ie did you load drivers especially for your kb]? If not, I'd suspect malware. Is the kb not functional in Safe mode? Hmm.. I think something is suspect power-wise, still. Get the voltages measured. By the way, when I said earlier to measure them with the PSU unplugged from the system, you still need some load on it otherwise most will not regulate. A tech can do it for you in a couple minutes with a plugin load.

The keyboard works fine in safe mode. The problem only arrises when I select the option to start windows normally. If it is a malware problem, how can I get rid of it? Can I get rid of it in safe mode?

"Do you have any sort of flash keyboard with its own drivers, or are you using std Windows drivers for it [ie did you load drivers especially for your kb]?" Because these drivers would NOT be loaded in Safe mode, rather the kb would use the MS default drivers. Any proprietary drivers would be loaded in Normal mode and settings would over-ride the use of the MS defaults, so if they are corrupt then you would experience a problem only in Normal mode. Something to check!!
If it is a malware problem then this should give it a run for its money; run it in safe mode, if it finds problems run it afterward in normal mode, if possible.
==Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
from: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html
or: http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe
=Dclick that file, mbam-setup.exe, to install the application,
-ensure that it is set to update and start, else start it via the icon, and UPDATE it.
Select "Perform QUICK Scan", then click Scan; the application will guide you through the remaining steps.
ENSURE that EVERYTHING found has a CHECKMARK against it, then click Remove Selected.
If malware has been found [and removed] MBAM will automatically produce a log for you when it completes... do not click the Save Logfile button.
Examine the log: if some files are listed as Delete on Reboot then restart your machine before continuing.
Copy and post that log [it is also saved under Logs tab in MBAM].

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.