Does anyone know how I can get my laptop (Sony Model pcg-7y2l) With windows vista... which I am not familiar with, to hook up to my HD tv? I have no screen to navigate with so it will be a blind hookup if you all know what I mean??? The laptop was given to me by a friend and since it was a $10 give. I didnt think it would work. But, thought I would post it here and see if I can get some help... Thanks

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by khakilang

First you have to make sure you have some kind of video out port, usually it's an S-Video port. I'm not sure about Vista, but in XP under display settings there are options concerning multiple monitors. I had a laptop hooked to my TV a while back, but I can't remember exactly what settings I had to use. I do remember that with a little experimenting I had it working fairly quickly. Good Luck.

In any laptop there is a 15 pins VGA output D connector that can connect to an external monitor or LCD TV with 15 pins VGA input. Some have a DVI connector which is a white rectangle shape. You have to get the appropriate cable for any of this connection. Than on the laptop keyboard there is a key with "fn" symbol. Press that key together with F4 or the F that has a symbol like a screen. You may refer the manual for that. That will switch from the laptop screen to your LCD TV. When press the second time you will have both screen appear.

Is it's screen cracked or just dark? If it's not cracked then have a good look at it under strong daylight to see if there is anything at all on screen. If it's cracked then you can get a replacement lcd screen on eBay for a decent price. If it's dark, then it probably needs a backlight driver board which can also be found on eBay for a decent price!

I am a professional hardware engineer if you require advice on changing either!

Might be worth getting a replacement LCD screen for it then! It will also add to the laptop's value should you decide to sell it on!

Edited by Rik_: n/a

well... I tried the Fn plus the f7 key which says lcd and has a pic of a screen. Guess I'll have to pitch in on a replacement screen for it.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.