This is the message I got when I turn on my laptop: LoadKey failed with error 1392(STHIVE #0). After I click on the ok button, the start up repair cannot repair the problem after attempting. The resulting problem is given as below:
Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
Problem Signature 01: Autofailover
Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.18000
Problem Signature 03: 0
Problem Signature 04: 65537
Problem Signature 05: unknown
Problem Signature 06: BadDisk
Problem Signature 07: 0
Problem Signature 08: 0
Problem Signature 09: unknown
Problem Signature 10: 1168
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

After this it cannot go any further but just prompt to exit for the pc to shut down.
Thanks a lot for any assitance to this problem of mine.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

The one time I had a problem like this, I found that a few of my system files (files used to start the operating system) were corrupted due to bad sectors on my hard drive. Bad luck that the bad sectors are located where your operating system files are located.

My best advice would be to run your recovery disk and choose to format and reinstall the operating system from scratch. That will reveal any problems with your hard drive that may be unrecoverable. You may wind up having to replace your hard drive.

Hope this helps!

/David C.

You've got to love when the firt thing someone recommends that you format your system, huh? David C, you didn't even recommend they back up their stuff first? the procedure that you describe involves destroying all the data that the user has on their computer@!

DC is right about the bad sectors approach, but thee are ways to check that without the "format first" approach. My first question is, do you have access to the recovery console?

If you don't know, then don't worry about it.

Do you have the original "installation disks"?
-you wil need the one that installs windows from fresh, NOT the "Manufacturer's Factory image" - THAT will wipe out all your data.

I am short on time tonight.
even if you don't have either of these, there is still hope.
What you need to do (I can walk you through tis later, but this is a general overview.)

is take the HDD ofline - plug it into another PC, or run an operating/recovery program from a CD and back up your data first to another HDD
then do a chdsk
then run a recovery/repair, prefferably from the commandline.

at least that gives you a heads up. you can oogle for how to's or get back to me if you need the step-by-step.

gotta go.

I just had a quick thought.
If you can launchthat version of Startup repair, then you have windows 7/vista. in that set of options that lets you launch the startup repair, should be the recovery console.

check this out:
http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/repair_windows_xp/
it's designed as a walkthrough for win XP, but it is exactly the same proceedure even if you have a different "error"

i agree the advice above,, back up all your data, put your HDD to other working pc then copy all your important data,, after you copy all the data then re-install your operating system will probably solve your problem.... sounds like system corrupted...

If you do not want to physically remove your hard drive then you might want to consider downloading a linux livecd and booting into that. If you can plug an external drive into a USB port then you may be able to copy your files without having to open your PC case and getting your hands dirty. If you are unfamiliar with linux then I suggest Bart's PE which is a bootable (from CD) Windows disk that will allow you read/write access. You can download it from

http://download.cnet.com/BartPE-Bootable-Live-Windows-CD-DVD/3000-2094_4-10611131.html

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.