Hi,

I have a HP Pavilion dv6000 notebook. I switched over to Linux a few months ago, and have been very happy with it. (running Ubuntu 10.04) Recently I've had the need to install Windows on my laptop again. I've got Windows XP Media Centre, which came with the laptop, and I've been trying to install that from CD. However, when I insert the disk, it will start to boot up and load the setup, and then the computer will shut off. There is no specific time in the boot when it does this - sometimes immediately, other times I've managed to start to get Windows installed. I then have to wait a few minutes and then turn it on again - just to have the same happen. I know it's not an overheating issue.

Prior to installing Ubuntu, I was having issues with my CD drive in Windows. That was one reason why I changed.

Other than that - I've successfully installed Ubuntu 10.04 from CD several times now. This doesn't make sense.

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

Have you download any files or apps so far.

Have you download any files or apps so far.

What do you mean?

Sometimes before that you may have download any files that is harmful to your laptop. Maybe it contain virus and other malwares and your laptop will shut down by itself

Sometimes before that you may have download any files that is harmful to your laptop. Maybe it contain virus and other malwares and your laptop will shut down by itself

I was able to, at one point, format the harddrive.

Have you try another CD, maybe there is some problem with your CD. Reinstall it, if the problem still occur, it is your laptop hardware problem

Have you try another CD, maybe there is some problem with your CD. Reinstall it, if the problem still occur, it is your laptop hardware problem

It is a hardware problem; I've used three different versions of Windows XP and then tried Windows 98.

Ok, so it is the hardware problem. Are you confident it is not a overheating issuse?

The DV6000 is one of the laptops that is well known for graphics failure. I suspect yours is showing the early symptoms!

Ok, so it is the hardware problem. Are you confident it is not a overheating issuse?

I used to game on this laptop - never had any issues with it shutting off due to heat. I've got an external cooling pad on the bottom which offers extra, so it's well ventilated.

You might have a faulty motherboard. This problem is common in DV6000.

Change it and tell us whether it works if not something is seriously wrong with your laptop. Do you still have the warranty if yes you could always sent it for repair ( last resort )

Change it and tell us whether it works if not something is seriously wrong with your laptop. Do you still have the warranty if yes you could always sent it for repair ( last resort )

I got the laptop secondhand and did some repairs on it myself as it was no longer under warranty.

I've got a spare motherboard, just need the time to put it in.

After you put it in. Tell us whether it works. Good luck

may be your laptop have problem with hardware CD.

Did the motherboard cure the problem?

An update on the status - took apart the laptop and double checked all connections, unplugged the CMOS battery, replaced the hard drive. Thus far, it now seems to shut down at 52% through the install. It will run through to loading 52% of the files on the first part of the screen, then the CD stops, not suddenly, but does, then it pauses and shuts down. All other random shutting down issues seem to have been fixed. I've also removed one stick of RAM and tried, then removed the other, then switched them to see if it was the socket. Still nothing. I think I've narrowed it down to the optical drive or the motherboard. What I intend on doing is taking the hard drive out of the laptop and putting it into another computer and loading Windows on to it, then putting it back into my old laptop, I'm just not sure if it will work as I've never done this (drivers may be loaded differently between computers?)

I'm willing to try using a different optical drive before I go ahead and replace the motherboard - it's a pain to pull apart the laptop and actually get to it, and I know that the optical drive, which under the BIOS states the type as being a DVD RW, does crash when I put DVDs into it, and it very may well be affecting Windows. The issue came from Windows drivers (when it first started crashing, the drivers from Windows for my optical drive were corrupt and I couldn't get it fixed under Windows). Will post findings later.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.