Hi, i really need some help here. I am starting to work for sunlife financial tomorrow and need my laptop to run windows xp for their software. Currently i have windows 7 installed. I want to know if I can split my hard drive and when computer boots I can choose xp or windows 7. So I can use xp for work and windows 7 for home. Since i don't have the cd for windows 7 I don't want to remove it completely. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

You can create two partitions and install XP on the other partition. But, you will have to secure a disk as XP will overwrite the bootloader. Once installed, insert anyone's Win7 disk and run the repair option. The Windows 7 bootloader should be fixed and able to run either XP or 7. I'd advise you to backup your information though.

caperjack, this is what i would have suggested. it's free as long as you have at least windows 7 professional or above. if you're a student at a qualifying school (usually requires that school email address of the student), there is 'the ultimate steal' deal (do a search for it and make sure it's from microsoft.. they also do the microsoft office academic edition 2010) and you can obtain it for around $64, I believe. good luck, madinjeck

I Can't Figure Out How To Switch Windows 7 Or Xp Whenever Where I Wanna Use. I Think You Should Have Two Computer.. One Is The Windows Xp And One Is The Windows 7.. This Is The Only Solution I Can Do For You..

I Can't Figure Out How To Switch Windows 7 Or Xp Whenever Where I Wanna Use. I Think You Should Have Two Computer.. One Is The Windows Xp And One Is The Windows 7.. This Is The Only Solution I Can Do For You..

hi ,your post make little or no sense to me anyway ,just because you cant figure how to switch from one to the other doesn't mean someone else cant figure it out .thanks for you imput anyway , if you need help switching from one to the other and want help just ask ,tell us how you have the two setup ,and if you are referring to win7 and XPMode

If you have Windows 7 Pro or higher, you are better off installing Windows XP Mode (Google it :)).

Or else,
1. Create a Windows 7 recovery disk using Control Panel\System and Security\Backup and Restore (on the side panel click create a system repair disc)

Partition your hard drive using http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

3. Then install Windows XP on the newly created drive. After installation, Windows XP will remove Windows 7 from boot menu to fix that, insert the Windows 7 recovery disc. Boot from the CD and from the repair options menu (look here http://cybernetnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/windows-7-recovery-disc-1.png) select startup repair. The rest is pretty simple.

Now after this, you should have both Windows XP and Windows 7 in the boot menu. If it fails to list XP in the menu, try the next step.

Backup: Download http://www.vistabootpro.org/ and recovery windows xp boot manager.

Hope this helps

Hi Friend,

It is very easier now to use windows 7 and XP in a single machine. Use this Application
"VirtualBox" from www.virtualbox.org. Its an application which will emulate your underlying hardware to create a new virtual machine and in that you can install windows XP and you can work simultaneously on both without restarting. By using Virtualbox you can use your physical network to communicate in your office and you can do much more as if your are doing in the physical machine.

I Am Just Pri.4 I Just Knew About Networking.. I Was Bored With Networking So I Went To Post The Windows Vista And Windows 7... Maplestory Has Server Check

I Am Just Pri.4 I Just Knew About Networking.. I Was Bored With Networking So I Went To Post The Windows Vista And Windows 7... Maplestory Has Server Check

interesting ,good of you to join in the discussion

Have you checked with virtualbox or you need any other suggestion.

Thanks! zzzz... I Am Bored These Days! Btw.. I Have A One Question I Would Like To Ask.. How Do I Make My Computer Faster Other Then Deleting My Icons

Thanks! zzzz... I Am Bored These Days! Btw.. I Have A One Question I Would Like To Ask.. How Do I Make My Computer Faster Other Then Deleting My Icons

hi, you really should start your own thread and not hijack this one with your question, and deleting icons will not make computer faster !

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.