This is my first post. I apologize if it is in the wrong area.

I have a Windows XP Pro laptop that I am trying to partition and install Knoppix Linux.

I have installed Norton PartitionMagic and BootMagic (both vers. 8.0) to partition the C: drive.

BootMagic had to be installed on a FAT partition. I did this, but a couple days later I removed the partition with BootMagic on it. Now, I get an error where the BootMagic menu had appeared. When I attempt to reinstall BootMagic, the installation program won't let me because it can't find the previous version (which I nixed along with its partition).

The fix at the link below does not work. I have none of the programs listed or any of the registry keys listed in it.

Symantec fix

Does anybody have any other ways to get BootMagic reinstalled? Any ideas would be muchly appreciated

Thanks, PJ

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I can't answer your question but I can suggest another method for what you seem to be doing. I know Ubuntu's live CDs have the Gnome Partition Editor (GPartEd) which you can use to resize a Windows partition to make room for a Linux distro. Perhaps Knoppix comes with the same (or similar) utility.

I can't answer your question but I can suggest another method for what you seem to be doing. I know Ubuntu's live CDs have the Gnome Partition Editor (GPartEd) which you can use to resize a Windows partition to make room for a Linux distro. Perhaps Knoppix comes with the same (or similar) utility.

This thread is from 2005!!!

I have a problem with windows 7 and windows XP dual boot, who can help me???

I have a problem with windows 7 and windows XP dual boot, who can help me???

Modern linux distributions can shrink the partitions from within thier installer.

When i installed ubuntu (alongside windows 7) i just told it to shrink windows to half the size and it worked fine.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.