Is there a way to run a Windows Server 2003 environment within an XP environment without having to add a partition? I know how to do it with a separate partition, but I don’t want to start from scratch. Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

There is VMWare, but it's not an inexpensive solution.

Is there a way to run a Windows Server 2003 environment within an XP environment without having to add a partition? I know how to do it with a separate partition, but I don’t want to start from scratch. Any ideas?

Good news-- VMWare ESX is going to become free. Don't know when, don't know much detail, but it's going to become a more attractive option in the future. Check out their website to see if/when it's going to happen.

Good news-- VMWare ESX is going to become free. Don't know when, don't know much detail, but it's going to become a more attractive option in the future. Check out their website to see if/when it's going to happen.

Correction on this: VMware Server, the follow-on to GSX 3.x, is the free version of VMware. There is a version for Linux and Windows. VMware Workstation and ESX Server are not free and most likely will never be free. ESX Server is VMware's bare metal virtualization platform and really phenomenal software. Workstation supports the widest array of guest OSes and has more features than GSX or VMware Server, notably multiple snap shots for point-in-time reversion. Good stuff all around.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.