Member Avatar for ingeborgdot@yah

I'm on Windows XP Pro

Whenever I shutdown the system, I get what appears to be a Dr Watson type error (I'm guessing). The message says that dwwin.exe failed because the system is shutting down. I don't have to do anything though, the error goes away without having to be closed manually, and the the system shuts down normally.

I'd like to get rid of this error even though it doesn't seem to be hurting anything. Does anyone know what could cause it or how to fix the problem.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Funny this- here's a post (which was solved) from Experts Exchange dated 05/27/2004:

I'm on Windows XP Pro

Whenever I shutdown the system, I get what appears to be a Dr Watson type error (I'm guessing). The message says that dwwin.exe failed because the system is shutting down. I don't have to do anything though, the error goes away without having to be closed manually, and the the system shuts down normally.

I'd like to get rid of this error even though it doesn't seem to be hurting anything. Does anyone know what could cause it or how to fix the problem.

Look familiar?
Care to elaborate?

Member Avatar for ingeborgdot@yah

I have the same problem and am looking to solve it. This was the same thing I had so instead of typing it I copied it because it was exactly my problem. Saved me some time. I couldn't get to the answer there because you have to pay to join so I couldn't solve it at experts exchange.

You don't have to pay to access the answers, just scroll past all the ads.

You don't have to pay to access the answers, just scroll past all the ads.

Actually, they do a weird (and IMHO, rather lame) thing over at EE: when you first starting browsing around their forums, you'll be able view the answers as well as the questions. However, somewhere in there they lay a cookie on you which identifies you as a previous visitor, and after that- bummage: you can't view the answers anymore. I've verified the behaviour myself by visiting/browsing the site long enough to be denied access to the answers, and then going in to my cookie manager and deleting the EE cookies. Sure enough, the next time I visit the site, I can again view answers.

The Dr. Watson problem for the poster (and others) over at EE was a corrupted or conflicting startup program. Here are a couple of quotes from the accepted answers in the EE thread:

have seen it, and apparently there are no suspisious things in the LOG file,,, but one thing i have noticed, u have SO MANY things in the startup section, some are good, but rest are just unnecessary,,,,, did u tried to disable all the startup sentries in msconfig and then checked for the problem ??
How to use msconfig >> http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

Follow the instructions above, and turn off all of your startup apps. If the problem goes away, add them back in groups (or one at a time), until it comes back. It's a process of elimination. For me it was the Citibank virtual credit card number generator. I removed their app from the startup and the problem has never shown up again for me.

That's odd. I read posts there all the time and have yet to be denied access to any of them. Maybe I'm just lucky.

That's odd. I read posts there all the time and have yet to be denied access to any of them. Maybe I'm just lucky.

It isn't a repeatable or predicatable experience for me, and it didn't happen to me for the longest time. One day though, I read a thread there, went to a few other sites after that, and then returned to EE to read another thread. When I tried to view the thread, no replies/answers for me; just the "give us your $$ to view the solution" message. After that happened a few times I experimented with the cookie aspect a bit, but not enough to determine much more than the fact that cookies from EE played a part in the behaviour. [img]http://www.stevewolfonline.com/Downloads/DMR/Visuals/dunno.gif[/img]

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.