Can anyone help? My internet is working fine, and I can pull up every page, but when I type in my login and password to hotmail and click continue it IMMEDIATELY sends me to the blank page saying "Page Not Found". My Norton AntiVirus is out of date and I'm currently trying to uninstall it. That is giving me problems too b/c windows won't allow me to uninstall it. I'm pretty sure the two are related. Any ideas what this could be, and how I can uninstall Norton? Any tips for a good security download? Thanks for your help.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

I am having the same problem. I can not log into hotmail or yahoo. My Norton is also expiried. I don't know what to do!

What version of norton are you running. 2005? If so then it's possible this is causing the problem. But either way I would diable norton even though you cannot uninstall it.

You will need a few hours and some tylenol to uninstall norton.

I am using Norton professional 2004. It expireda few months ago, but when I restarted my computer I got a pop-up that it was disabled. This was just last Thursday and all this started the same day. It only happens when I try to log in yahoo, hotmail, and a few other sites I have to give name & password.

Ok. Well, That's not too good then. In my experience Norton 2004 shouldn't effect anything.

Let's go through and try some of the small steps.
First:
Open your Web Browser --> click "Tools" --> Internet Options --> under the "General" Tab (should open to here automatically) --> Clear History, Delete Files (select "delete all offline content"), and delete Cookies.

After this is done click OK. Close your web browser and then reopen it and try to login once more. If it is still giving the page not found. Please post any other information it might be saying. (if any)

There may be a chance that your web browser is infected, but we won't just to conclusions. The network just might be busy.

I have done that and it still isn't working. When I go to sign in i get this:

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

***I get this page when I try to log into yahooo, hotmail, my bank account, and many other pages. It all started the same day I restarted my computer and the pop-up about Norton being disabled came up.***

But you can browse the web? or can you? If you can visit msn.com and check the date and time. Make sure it's current.

Hmm... It says DNS error so I would have though that your ISP might be down, or Something in your Internet Connection Settings might not be right.

(Post a reply once you have)

Are you using the same computer to post here on DaniWeb?

Yes, I can browse the web and I am on the same computer right now. It only happens when I go to a site where I have to give a name and password. I don't think it's my service provider. I have 3 computers hooked to the wireless router and if I get on the other 2 I can go to the sites. It's only here on this computer, which is my main one I use, that I get the message. The laptop and my husbands computer work just great!

i don't know what else to do.

I don't know much about wireless routers, but it might be a problem. I can't be sure.

Have you run any spyware or virus scans recently? If not try downloading AVG free Edt.
and Adaware

AVG Free Edt.
Ad-aware

I will try this and see if it works. Thanks!

OK...I got both and ran scans. Still, the page won't load.

I don't know what else to do. The other 2 computers go to the page.

Fixed it!! I uninstalled Norton and now it works.

Thanks Lightninghawk for your help.

hi iam new here. can any one help me out?. i cant login to my e mail account sameelkp@yahoo.co.in from last two days. when i am loging in it
showing password incorrect. but i didnt change my password. i checked whether the capslock on or not and every thing they ask me to do. i tried password recovery but the message "for your protection your accout has been temprerly
disabled" . so i cant even log in. as i am waiting for some importent mails to come i am very much disappointed.

I have the same problem. Since yesterday I hae no access to many web sites (hotmail, yahoo, ikea,etc). The browser always says "www.hotmail.com not found" or "wrong password".
Should I remove my Norton Antivir??

I think it may be to do with the fact that it is a secure site. I had this problem a couple of weeks ago and it stayed for a couple of weeks and then I tried to log on one day and it just worked. I think your best bet is just to try all the obvious things like restart your PC and router, try a different browser, and make sure you internet settings are correct in you browser. If all else fails just leave it and use another computer for this type of stuff and try again in a couple of weeks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.