What is the syntax of command for viewing list of commands in command prompt?I have tried help command but it does not work.

Contributors
Replies
Views
4 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Zaina jee
Featured Replies
  • i would guess there are to many to list , this site in the [link](http://pcsupport.about.com/od/commandlinereference/tp/command-prompt-commands-p1.htm) says there are 280 of them ,and it would be a different number with each version of windows [another good site ](http://ss64.com/nt/) Read More

What operating system are you referring to? There are slight differences and the list of commands will also slightly vary. Read More

In Windows 7, open a command prompt, simply type 'help' and hit enter. This will provide you with a list of commands. Read More

hmm.. When you open a command prompt, try this... type 'set' hit enter. Scroll up if needed, look for the entry called "path". It should contain a listing of directory entries. You should have at least, c:\windows;c:\windows\system32; If you don't that would explain why you are getting the "not recognized" … Read More

i would guess there are to many to list , this site in the link says there are 280 of them ,and it would be a different number with each version of windows
another good site

Edited by caperjack

What operating system are you referring to? There are slight differences and the list of commands will also slightly vary.

I am using Windows 7. I visit that link but there is also 'help' command mentioned for that purpose. I have tried it but it does not work may be due to some syntax error.

In Windows 7, open a command prompt, simply type 'help' and hit enter. This will provide you with a list of commands.

I have tried it but it doesn't work and this message was displayed:
"'help' is not recognized as an internal or external help command, operable program or batch file"

hmm..

When you open a command prompt, try this...

type 'set' hit enter. Scroll up if needed, look for the entry called "path". It should contain a listing of directory entries. You should have at least, c:\windows;c:\windows\system32;

If you don't that would explain why you are getting the "not recognized" message.

I have tried it but I have same list of directory entries as you mentioned. I will try 'help' command in my university lab. Maybe it work.

Thnx JorgeM and caperjack. The help command was not working on my PC but it worked on other one.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.