I found this in a few different places around the 'net - hopefully it's helpful:

Create a Desktop Shortcut to Lock Your Computer

You secure your computer by locking it whenever you're away from your desk. If you?re on a domain, by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del and then clicking Lock Computer, you can prevent unauthorized users from gaining access to your computer. Only you and members of the Administrators group on your computer can unlock it. (You unlock it by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del, typing your password, and then clicking OK.)

To create an even quicker means of securing your computer, place a shortcut on your desktop to lock your computer:

• Right-click an open area of your desktop, point to New, and then click Shortcut.
  • In the Location box, type %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation
  • Click Next, in the Name box type a name for the shortcut such as, Lock Computer, and then click Finish.

Recommended Answers

All 33 Replies

This was a great tip. In previous versions of MS Office, there was a button on the Office Toolbar for Executing the Screensaver, this is not available in the newer version of Office. Do you have any idea of how to setup a shortcut to execute the Chosen Screensaver?

This was a great tip. In previous versions of MS Office, there was a button on the Office Toolbar for Executing the Screensaver, this is not available in the newer version of Office. Do you have any idea of how to setup a shortcut to execute the Chosen Screensaver?

hi ,if you go the c:\windows\system32 folder you will find the windows screensaver files they have the extension .scr ,you can just right click on one and send it to the desktop as a short cut.
or you could right click on the desktop choose new ./shortcut, and put the screensave path in like this one ,C:\WINDOWS\system32\sspipes.scr and save it and that will load that screen saver ,you could then drage it from the desktop to the quick launch tool bar .and exectute the screensaver from there ,

Thank you. That worked for the purpose.

Thank you. That worked for the purpose.

your welcome :)

The shortcut key for locking workstation is windows key + L.

Those tips are great! Dont need to wait anymore the the SS to kick in

Tom D

for better results disable the welcmoe screen. then you get an NT style login window with the control-alt-del thingy when you lock your workstation

Thanks Heaps for that. Makes it easier to keep my sister out :)

Hm... the fact that some people have to lock their computers every minute they're away isn't the nicest thing ever, don't you agree? D=

Well my sister has got some nasty viruses on her computer from being silly with downloading things. I just prefer not to risk her coming along and contracting something that makes me reformatt my pc. Simple :)

supurb trick.
thanks for that shortcut.

In windows XP you can lock your account by pressinf windows key and then L,however other users can log in at this time in their own accounts.But your work remains safe.

if you disable fast user switching and the welcome screen you will get the windows 2000 style control-alt-del login screen

hey this is cool ...... really i tried to stop frnds snooping on my comp in a sec i can lock comp !!! cool!!!!

why do you need a shortcut when you can hit "windows key" + L

why do you need a shortcut when you can hit "windows key" + L

What if your keyboard breaks? ;)

What if your keyboard breaks?

then how are you going to unlock it?

notice the ;) - its a joke...

lol

uniquestar, Bennet has no concept of Humour :D
He spends his days working with his buddy Tux.....

Hey, i've just got a new computer and i've tried these shortcuts, but they just switch user when i need to lock it, any ideas on how to lock it, I've tried windows + L aswell but that swithes users also? Aswell as this when i press ctrl alt del it goes to task manager and i can't lock it from there, any suggestions would be great thanks.

Shutdown syntax

shutdown [-i|-l|-s|-r|-a] [-f] [-m \\computername] [-t xx] [-c "Text"] [-d[p]:xx:yy]

e.g:shutdown -s -c "Shutting down!" -t 3

gud one.:)

thanx amrita

thanx amrita

[snipped]

you could have at least thanked the creator of the thread or poster with the solution ,not someone who can even spell good .lol

nice link by the way ,but i doubt anyone will come to this old thread looking for you to build them a website ,you should stick to social networks [like facebook]to promote yourself , good luck

i am doing only bro

Are you even allow to post affiliated links in post? I though you can only do that within the Business Exchange forum.

rubbsh.....better press L key after window key at your kybrd.....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.