HI.
We have a Win 2003 server standard edt. It has dual Xeon 2.4G processors for multithreading. It should see 4 (2 physical and 2 virtual) processors. It sees only one processor. One in the task manager, and in device manager the HAL is set to standard PC with no other upgrades avaliable.

The server came with windows installed on it so I do not know if there was an option durring installation for smp or if windows is suposed to automatically detect the processors.

The BIOS does see both processors.

Microsoft knowledge base says to upgrade the driver. Well in device manager I try that and it says the driver installed is the best one.

This is getting frustrating! Please help.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Well the best quickest way to fix the problem as i have read would be to reinstall the server and MAKE SURE MP is selected during the setup :/

This server is hosting a website that runs the operations for the entire company.
SQL Server 2k is on it as well as crystal reports. Will reinstalling it remove all other installed programs, or can I choose to just add the necessary components?

ok don't uninstall unless you can host on another machine!!!!!!!
reinstall is far to irational when it come to servers!!!

you will find that with hyp thrd it won't neseserally say it had 4 cpus

Erm, i havn't installed mp on2k3 before but i m sure if the comp that sold you the server installed the OS then they would of set it up for mp, who did you get it from? have you tried querying them yet?

Thank you for your quick responses!

Erm, i havn't installed mp on2k3 before but i m sure if the comp that sold you the server installed the OS then they would of set it up for mp, who did you get it from? have you tried querying them yet?

PCUSA.com is the company we bought it from. I have purchased home pc's from them before and have had much success al a low price. I have tried to contact them with no luck, which is very disturbing to me. I e-mailed their support and have attempted at numerous calls. No replies!

ok don't uninstall unless you can host on another machine!!!!!!! reinstall is far to irrational when it come to servers!!!

We have the server that this new one replaced. I think I am going to try installing 2k3 on it to see how the setup goes. It has two processors for multithreading as well so that should answer some questions. Then if necessary I can transfer the database back to it while we work on the new one.

you will find that with hyp thrd it won't necessarily say it had 4 cpus

Is it possible that is would only show one? The task mgr shows one window for the processor under the performance tab and it. SQL has two processor licenses but shows that it is only using one. Or perhaps it SQL only needs one right now and when the traffic is heavy it will use both?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.