Internet Explorer and Firefox don't work. Whenever I try to access a web page, FF shows a blank page with the tab title "(untitled)" and IE gives me a server not found message. Other programs, such as AIM, Ares, and Windows update all access the internet with no problem.
I've run Spybot, Ad-aware, and Norton Antivirus, and none of them got anything. I'm using Ares' web browser right now. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Let's see...Around that time I had been having some issues with my video card. I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers a few times, then the next time I got a crash, it showed a file name. I googled it and found out it was associated with Drag to Disc, so I uninstalled that. I haven't had the blue screen of death since.
I also uninstalled SP2 while troubleshooting my crashing issue, then reinstalled it after my internet problem showed up. Other than that, I really don't think I've done anything that could have done it. >_<
It could be the firewall settings in SP2; I think there is also a patch for IE problems with SP2. Look through this thread and see if there is anything that helps (a link to the patch should be there, and I think instructions for the firewall are too): http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread10031.html
2. Did the original occurrence of the problem coincide in any way with your installing the Ares package?
3. Although this doesn't sound like it applies to your particular problem, do keep in mind that different network/Internet programs use different network communication ports and protocols. In other words, just because an instant messaging program works doesn't necessarilly have much to do with a web browsing problem; the two types of programs may be using entirely different "channels of communication".
1: Nope. The same thing happens.
2: I don't see how it could, I had Ares installed long before I got this problem.
Also, I found out yesterday that the guest account's IE and FF work fine. I don't know if I should be happy, or sad. I could, of course, only use my guest account for internet, but I'd have to transfer all the plugins and stuff over, and I'd have to fast switch accounts in order to do other things only on my account. >_<
Corrupted items such as cookies or cached Internet files can often cause browsing problems similar to yours. If you haven't already:
- Reboot into safe mode (you get to the safe mode boot option by hitting the F8 key as your computer is starting up)
- Open Windows Explorer, and in the Folder Options->View settings under the Tools menu, select "show hidden files and folders", and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files".
- For every user account listed under C:\Documents and Settings, delete the entire contents of these folders:
1. Local Settings\Temp
4. Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
5. Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\profilename\Cache
6. Also delete the Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\profilename\cookies.txt file
- Delete the entire content of your C:\Windows\Temp folder.
Note- If you get any messages concerning the deletion of system files such as desktop.ini or index.dat, just choose to delete those files; they'll be automatically regenerated by Windows if needed. Windows will allow you to delete the versions of those files which exist in sub-folders within the main Temp/Temorary folders, but might not let you delete the versions of those files that exist in the main Temp folders themselves; this is normal and OK.
You can create a new acct ,then go to windows explorer /click on the c:\ drive /open documents and settings folder ,there you will see all of the accts on the computer ,you can copy favorites/documents and desktop settings from one to the other .
Make sure to go to tools/folder options/view /show hidden files and folders .
If that is to vauge let me know .i will help some more .