Okay. This is my first post here, so be gentle :)

Internet Explorer and Firefox don't work. Whenever I try to access a web page, FF shows a blank page with the tab title "(untitled)" and IE gives me a server not found message. Other programs, such as AIM, Ares, and Windows update all access the internet with no problem.

I've run Spybot, Ad-aware, and Norton Antivirus, and none of them got anything. I'm using Ares' web browser right now. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Did they ever work on this computer? If they did, can you think of anything that might have been done to the system around the time they stopped working (hardware or software changes)?

Let's see...Around that time I had been having some issues with my video card. I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers a few times, then the next time I got a crash, it showed a file name. I googled it and found out it was associated with Drag to Disc, so I uninstalled that. I haven't had the blue screen of death since.

I also uninstalled SP2 while troubleshooting my crashing issue, then reinstalled it after my internet problem showed up. Other than that, I really don't think I've done anything that could have done it. >_<

It could be the firewall settings in SP2; I think there is also a patch for IE problems with SP2. Look through this thread and see if there is anything that helps (a link to the patch should be there, and I think instructions for the firewall are too):
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread10031.html

Hmmm....I read through that article and all the link contained in it, but I really didn't see anything related to my problem. ;_;

*sigh*
That patch didn't change anything, and I don't have the firewall enabled. I don't have any other firewall either.

1. In IE or FF, can you reach web sites by their IP (as opposed to their URL)?

In the location/address bar of IE and FF, type the following to see if you can reach (respectively) Yahoo, Google, and this site:

http://66.94.230.34
http://216.239.57.147
http://69.93.117.133

2. Did the original occurrence of the problem coincide in any way with your installing the Ares package?

3. Although this doesn't sound like it applies to your particular problem, do keep in mind that different network/Internet programs use different network communication ports and protocols. In other words, just because an instant messaging program works doesn't necessarilly have much to do with a web browsing problem; the two types of programs may be using entirely different "channels of communication".

1: Nope. The same thing happens.
2: I don't see how it could, I had Ares installed long before I got this problem.

Also, I found out yesterday that the guest account's IE and FF work fine. I don't know if I should be happy, or sad. I could, of course, only use my guest account for internet, but I'd have to transfer all the plugins and stuff over, and I'd have to fast switch accounts in order to do other things only on my account. >_<

Corrupted items such as cookies or cached Internet files can often cause browsing problems similar to yours. If you haven't already:

- Reboot into safe mode (you get to the safe mode boot option by hitting the F8 key as your computer is starting up)

- Open Windows Explorer, and in the Folder Options->View settings under the Tools menu, select "show hidden files and folders", and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files".

- For every user account listed under C:\Documents and Settings, delete the entire contents of these folders:

1. Local Settings\Temp
2. Cookies
3. History
4. Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
5. Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\profilename\Cache
6. Also delete the Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\profilename\cookies.txt file

- Delete the entire content of your C:\Windows\Temp folder.

Note- If you get any messages concerning the deletion of system files such as desktop.ini or index.dat, just choose to delete those files; they'll be automatically regenerated by Windows if needed. Windows will allow you to delete the versions of those files which exist in sub-folders within the main Temp/Temorary folders, but might not let you delete the versions of those files that exist in the main Temp folders themselves; this is normal and OK.

- Empty your Recycle Bin.

- Reboot normally.

and if that doesent work create a new acct and try it

*sigh*
This is getting annoying. I did everything you said to do, rebooted, crossed my fingers, and...nothing. Still exactly the same.

Is there any way to totally transfer all the files and settings on my account over to a different account, then give that account admin priveleges?

You can create a new acct ,then go to windows explorer /click on the c:\ drive /open documents and settings folder ,there you will see all of the accts on the computer ,you can copy favorites/documents and desktop settings from one to the other .
Make sure to go to tools/folder options/view /show hidden files and folders .
If that is to vauge let me know .i will help some more .

try running winsockfix in my sig, only takes a couple minutes and a restart.

Steosaur, I [BLEEP]ING LOVE YOU. That fixed my problem. Thank you thank you thank you. Also, infinite thanks to everyone else who posted in this thread. You guys rock.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.