so I was having problems running anything on windows media player, .wmv, dvds, music, anything. the error said that it was because of faulty or missing sound drivers. I attempted to fix the promblem but ended up deleting Conexant HD Audio which I am assuming was my sound drivers because now I have no audio on my computer at all. Even the little speaker in the taskbar has disapeared. I tried to do a system restore but I can only go back 10 days for somereason which I don't know if it will sove my problem. please help

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

System Rstore doesn't put deleted files back!

When you say 'deleted' do you mean 'uninstalled'? What exactly did you do (i.e. how did you do it)?

What Make and model is your PC?

When you say 'deleted' do you mean 'uninstalled'? What exactly did you do (i.e. how did you do it)?

At the system restore window for some reason the latest I can restore it back to is October 16 which I think might still have the problem occuring and or the missing drivers.

I'm not sure how I deleted what whatever I deleted. I'm 98% sure that I never ran any kind of uninstaller. I was just clicking around trying to change things to get something to work. It might have been out of the device manager or the Sound section of the Control Panel but I really don't remember.

The computer is a custom built laptop. I'm running XP Pro. It HAD Conexant HD Audio card/drivers.

If you don't know what you deleted you're treading a fine line here, but why not just download the latest drivers for the Conexant hardware?

http://www.driverguide.com/

You'll need to know what chipset/model it is though.

But your machine ought to have been supplied with the driver disks if it was customer built.

Installing the drivers won't work if you deleted other stuff as well.

If you don't know what you deleted you're treading a fine line here, but why not just download the latest drivers for the Conexant hardware?

http://www.driverguide.com/

You'll need to know what chipset/model it is though.

But your machine ought to have been supplied with the driver disks if it was customer built.

Installing the drivers won't work if you deleted other stuff as well.

I found the driver from HP but it wont install. Somthing else must be gone, but I think that think that is gone was the thing that was messing up my windows media player.

Well, I'd just suggest recovering it now. It'd be quicker.

Off topic sort of ,Thats what i always thought to, the other day i was deleting file in a temp folder ,hit the back icon by mistake with out noticing ,then i hi-lighted and deleted the top 6 or 7 folders in the root of C:\ ,and deleted them of course i was holding down the shift key, so they didn't go to recycle bin ,did a system restore back to 2 days before ,and the folders &files all came back , i was supprised .

Well, rewording it it little, it doesn't always do it properly and it can just as easily stop other things working properly depending on what you did between restore points :)

I know what you mean, though. It's done the same for me before.

you walk with angels. when u delete you get a coded file entry in recyclers, as you know, and the file remains where it was... with shift delete that entry doesn't get made... i guess the sys was hanging on to some other path record somewhere.
i don't ever want to know all there is to know about this windows thing we all use n love.

Same here, more or less.

Windows Restore is great if you're installing something, it causes a problem, and you want to undo the problem. All at one time.

But do anything else in between and the outcome could be quite a muddle (based on just my own experience, of course). A lot of our customers run it (along with defrag!!!) the second their computer does something they don't like.

drivers are held in some special regard by windows. don't delete, instead upgrade em or change em, that way a record is made of the old driver [it is kept] and you can back it up if needs be by the magic driver restore function Rollback driver. Actually you can do a lot with your drivers via computer management > device manager.

heh! defrag'd be just so hot for sorting things like that! a one way ticket like no other.

Honestly, they do!

It's even more annoying when they've been told to do it - on a machine only a few days old. That happens, too. Unsurprisingly, they usually call back with the original problem.

k, it's gone 1am which is waaay past my bedtime. i gotta stop working this site or i'll do my head in. but i find it a great way to learn.

heyy.....
i deleted my sound card from add/remove :(
i dont have any cd to install it back..
can anyone help me to get my pc sound back..pls

heyy.....
i deleted my sound card from add/remove :(
i dont have any cd to install it back..
can anyone help me to get my pc sound back..pls

if you know what sound card it is you can go to there web site to download driver ,what is the make and model # of your computer

Machine name: USER-04D54CDA36
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.100216-1441)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: LENOVO
System Model: 969149G
BIOS: BIOS Ver: 2TKT53A 2007.10.25
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2140 @ 1.60GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2552MB RAM

Sound Devices
-------------
Description:
Default Sound Playback: No
Default Voice Playback: No

HW Accel Level: Emulation Only

Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
Registry: OK
Sound Test Result: Not run

can u help me with the given information

so its a lanovo laptop ,correct .flip it over the model # should be written on the back

Is driver guide virus free?

I deleted my sound card from add.remov.I dont have any cd to instail it back can anyone help me to get my pc sound back please. my computer is Celeron .R. CPU 1.70GHz

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.