I installed my xp home on my dauter's computer. Why? long story.

I can't register it because the cd came installed on my dell, I have to purchase another key.

I'm screwed (she is). I can't get any updates. I ran housecall and it came up with 5 pages of windows and explorer problems. All would be solved with SP2 and other updates.

I can't afford a new operating system or the 90 bucks for a new key.

What are my options? Do I try another operating system, Linnux?
I am not to bright with these big problems, at least their big to me. Just figuring out the small stuff still. I can't even keep her computer on line. Maybee its the lack of updates.

Some advise would be appreciated.
Charlie

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

you got 30 days to activate,after that it will stop working ! so you only have 2 options buy another winxp or use a free linux

Or, if you had to reinstall for a reason such a virues, and it was not your fault, you may be able to call and Microsoft and tell them what happened. They may help you out...

Or, if you had to reinstall for a reason such a virues, and it was not your fault, you may be able to call and Microsoft and tell them what happened. They may help you out...

didn't know microsoft would help you put your version of xp on someon else computer ,what is it that they will do for you ??

It's not a very good idea to install an operating system that you origionally purchased with another machine on this particular machine anyway unless you have a co-operate version of windows XP Professional etc.

My opioion is that you should do away with windows on your daughters machine until you can afford to buy her a proper version complete with product key. Try Linux. it's free and its a tad more secure then windows.:cheesy:

this site will send you free, 5 disk of ther version,1 for you and 4 your friends ,i used it and its a nice one too .
http://www.ubuntu.com/

sounds like the thing to do. I will.
I hope her AIM, yahoo messanger and my space work with it or I will catch hell. This is the crap that gets her infected 10 times a year no matter how hard I try.
Thanks for all the input
Charlie

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.