I have been having trouble with my computer for the past week. I can be in the middle of something and all of a sudden it shuts itself down and restarts, any help or ideas how to fix this would be great. :confused:

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Could you tell me what hardware you have? and what processes are running.

Are you playing a game when it restarts?

IT could be your power supply

Sounds like you may have Sasser Virus

I'll second that possiblility. Get the most current updates for your anti-virus program, restart in Safe mode, and do a full system scan.

u have to do one thing
and that is . go to ur inter net connection properties advance and chick ur firewall option then u will never have this problum...

u have to do one thing
and that is . go to ur inter net connection properties advance and chick ur firewall option then u will never have this problum...

I agree this is a sound thing to do before you get infected, but if you are already infected, you may need to get this download which will help you dissinfect:-

http://www.sophos.com/support/cleaners/sassgui.com

save it locally and run it to dissinfect sasser.

After that patch your pc from the following location, so you will not be re-infected:-

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-011.mspx

Good luck
Aquarius
:)

I know what works for me:

Well, I get this problem all the time--but ONLY when I play a game that is not run in a Window. jewel Quest, Sid Meyer's Pirates, Half-Life (I just re-bought the Orange Box), and Tom Clancy's game. I have an ACER laptop, and it is a heat issue. Ho I solved it was to take a box of watercolor paints (plastic box about 1/2 inch high, and about 12" wide) and set it under the very back of my laptop. That REALLY helped cool off my computer--even though I cannot see any kind of difference, my computer is much happier.

If you are having a problem with your laptop, try that. If you are using a tower, remove the case, clean the fan, maybe move your computer to a more airy location. My specs:

ACER laptop, Windows XP, games listed above--basically anything that takes you OUT of Windows.

do you get a blue screen showing memory error before it shuts down

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.