My CD and DVD drives have been missing from My Computer and I'm running WinXP Home Edition. I've gone into the registry, deleted the upper and lower filters, ran various spyware programs. Now I attempted to do a Win XP Repair, went thru all the steps, but when it gets to the setup section, I get an error message:

The File 'asms' on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 CD is needed
Trying to do a 'repair' re-install of Windows XP Home Edition. I get through the loading of files and into the first installation window of Windows XP (after the 1st restart) and then get the system windows asking for 'The File ASMS on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 CD is needed. Type the path where the file is located and then click OK/B]'. The text in the path text box is 'GLOBALROOT\DEVICE\CDROM0\I386'. The ASMS file (directory) is in the 1st level directory of I386 on the CD. This is also a valid OEM CD with the Hologram. The system has two CD drives; one is a CD drive and the other is a DVD/CD RW drive.

Now I've tried to the following:
Shift+F10 to enter a command session.

Type: regedit.exe at the prompt.

Highlight the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE entry.

Go to the File menu and choose Load Hive.

Then, load %Windir%\System32\Config\System.sav
Give it a short name that you will remember, like "Test".

Then, find this key: (WHEN I TRY TO FIND THIS KEY below, I DON'T HAVE Set1, but I have Set2, and Set3)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Test\ControlSet1\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Delete UPPERFILTERS and LOWERFILTERS keys.

Do the same for ControlSet2 and any other numbered ControlSet keys you see.

Please help....Thanks!!!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Please don't take this the wrong way because I, myself, have a tendency to overlook the simple things.

I had the same problem with the same system. It turned out not to have anything to do with the system. My cd/dvd drive just wasn't working anymore. I bought a new one, stuck it in and had absolutely no problem with the drive or the driver.

Moral of the story: make sure the hardware itself is still working.

Hope this helps--please ignore if you already checked that!!

No problem, but this same problem occurred on my other computer as well.
So I don't think it's a hardware problem. How can 2 DVD burners and 1 CD burner
all break down at the same time. I think it's caused from a specific program such as
Itunes. Thanks!

Please don't take this the wrong way because I, myself, have a tendency to overlook the simple things.

I had the same problem with the same system. It turned out not to have anything to do with the system. My cd/dvd drive just wasn't working anymore. I bought a new one, stuck it in and had absolutely no problem with the drive or the driver.

Moral of the story: make sure the hardware itself is still working.

Hope this helps--please ignore if you already checked that!!

I already tried the suggestions from Microsoft and they didn't work.

Thanks!

This solution from Microsoft might help you out. Here is the link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

One thing i have found in the past is just deleted the filters doesn't alway work. Sometimes going to the device manager and right click your drives and select the uninstall option and then delete the filters, reboot. The system will reinstall the drivers and usually redetect the drives no problem.

Have you also checked if the bios see's the drives and/or the system can boot from CD?

My CD and DVD drives have been missing from My Computer and I'm running WinXP Home Edition. I've gone into the registry, deleted the upper and lower filters, ran various spyware programs. Now I attempted to do a Win XP Repair, went thru all the steps, but when it gets to the setup section, I get an error message:

The File 'asms' on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 CD is needed
Trying to do a 'repair' re-install of Windows XP Home Edition. I get through the loading of files and into the first installation window of Windows XP (after the 1st restart) and then get the system windows asking for 'The File ASMS on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 CD is needed. Type the path where the file is located and then click OK/B]'. The text in the path text box is 'GLOBALROOT\DEVICE\CDROM0\I386'. The ASMS file (directory) is in the 1st level directory of I386 on the CD. This is also a valid OEM CD with the Hologram. The system has two CD drives; one is a CD drive and the other is a DVD/CD RW drive.

Now I've tried to the following:
Shift+F10 to enter a command session.

Type: regedit.exe at the prompt.

Highlight the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE entry.

Go to the File menu and choose Load Hive.

Then, load %Windir%\System32\Config\System.sav
Give it a short name that you will remember, like "Test".

Then, find this key: (WHEN I TRY TO FIND THIS KEY below, I DON'T HAVE Set1, but I have Set2, and Set3)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Test\ControlSet1\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Delete UPPERFILTERS and LOWERFILTERS keys.

Do the same for ControlSet2 and any other numbered ControlSet keys you see.

Please help....Thanks!!!

I had the exact same problem, couldn't get my CD to read the file from the Win XP Home CD. I found that all I had to do was put in the location where the file was located and instead of clicking with the mouse, push the enter key! It then reads the CD! You will have to do this multiple times for different files before it finally has them all.

AS400TechWorker

I fixed all the problems already, but thanks!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.