Hi.

I'm new here and I joined to see if I can get help with the following question. If you guys have any answers for me on which I should do, please try to be really detailed and not be extremely technical with your answers, because I'm not a big master on computers. That being said...

We have currently decided to switch from dial-up internet to DSL at my house. We ordered DSL and all of the parts came in, and we were able to start hooking it up today. I had everything hooked up until the part where I had to plug a cord in from the modem to the ethernet jack on the back of the computer. I then realized that there was no ethernet jack on the back of my computer. Therefore I went and bought a Dynex PCI Adapter that has an ethernet jack. I hooked up the adapter to the back of my computer, and restarted it. There is a disc that comes with it so you can install the drivers, but when I put the disc in nothing happened. I tried to install the hardware myself by going through the add new hardware wizard, but there was nothing to install under the name of Dynex.

My question is what do I do now? I cannot use my DSL until I figure out how to add and install the drivers for the PCI adapter. I will say my computer is a Windows 98SE, and is getting old. I am holding off on getting a new computer for a few months, but until then I'd really like to have DSL. The sound went out on my computer about a year ago and I had such a pain trying to install the drivers for that too. None of the discs I tried work, and I had to get deep down in the hardware to figure anything out. I'm sort of concerned about it this time though, because I don't want to be paying for DSL when I'm not even using it yet.

Thanks to anyone who can respond. It is deeply, deeply appreciated.

Jessica

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Put in the cd go to Start - Run browse to your CD and click install or setup which ever it has.click OK and should intall what you need.

Thanks, but that didn't work. I already tried that.

It doesn't matter anymore because I did get it to work by changing my hardware settings.

Jessica

Glad you got it to work.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.