I think thats what they are called, it's the -command thing you put after the exe's name, to give it a specific start up property. Anywho, here's my problem, I run a program called Blender, but it runs really slowly due to an OpenGL glitch, so I have to go to::::::

Right Click on Desktop-->Properties--->Settings--->Advanced--->Troubleshooting--->Hardware Acceleration(for the video card) and turn it down to the point where it turns off direct draw...

Is there a command line switch that I can implement so that I don't have to go through that process every time I want to run blender?

Help is appreciated, Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Only if you wrote the program blender and add code that will recognize and act upon those command-line arguments. If you did not write the program (or have the source code) then you are SOL.

You might be able to put some ms-windows commands in a batch file that would do what you want before running blender program, but I don't know what it would be.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

I doubt he wrote blender3d.

Right Click on Desktop-->Properties--->Settings--->Advanced--->Troubleshooting--->Hardware Acceleration(for the video card) and turn it down to the point where it turns off direct draw...

That's really odd, was it always like this. Have you tried reinstalling blender?

I doubt he wrote blender3d.

That's really odd, was it always like this. Have you tried reinstalling blender?

Lol well, as you may know, blender's interface is in Open GL, and also as you may know, ATI Radeon Xpress 200m cards dont; have very good OpenGL support, heck not very many ATI cards have good OpenGL support. Anywho, Blender runs terribly slow after a certain amount of time, and the only way to speed that up currently is by turning hardware acceleration so far down, that only basic drawing functions are supported by the card. fun eh? I was just looking for more of a one-click solution to the problem.

Only if you wrote the program blender and add code that will recognize and act upon those command-line arguments. If you did not write the program (or have the source code) then you are SOL.

You might be able to put some ms-windows commands in a batch file that would do what you want before running blender program, but I don't know what it would be.

hmm, well, one problem, that only code I know is HTML, and a bit of PY. So what the heck is a batch, and how do I make one, and where do I find a list of MS/Windows commands? Sry for all the questions... =\

hmm, well, one problem, that only code I know is HTML, and a bit of PY. So what the heck is a batch, and how do I make one, and where do I find a list of MS/Windows commands? Sry for all the questions... =\

Batch programs (also called batch files) allow you to simplify routine or repetitive tasks. A batch program is an unformatted text file that contains one or more commands and has a .bat or .cmd file name extension. When the file name is typed at the command prompt, the commands in the file are executed sequentially.
Any command can be included in a batch file. In addition, the for, goto, and if commands allow conditional processing of the commands in the batch file. For example, the if command carries out a command based on the results of a condition. Other commands allow you to control input and output and call other batch programs. The replaceable parameter, %, expands batch script argument variables.

the batch files are those file with .bat extension. one example for what is written in a batch file is
echo test
pause
when you are running this from windows explorer or command prompt will display test and it wait until you'll press a key.
regarding your problem i don't know if you can use some of the windows commands in accordance with blender. ex: blender rem.....etc because it is not integrated in the OS.
you can make a little application wich will change automatically the level of hardaware acceleration after an amount of time.
after you work 30 minutes to change the hardware acceleration to 70% for example, after one our to 50 and so on.
i haven't work with that software and you must observer how the adjuments must be made, and implement those changes to code. also i don't know if this can be made through a batch file, because the batch files are not working in the background of the OS. for this you should use either MFC, either API(i think this is the best solution), or the graphic card's dll.

i hope you understand what i explained here.

best regards,

well, I sorta understood what you were talking about, but I'm not very good at programming to change OS specific changes...

Here is a quick example and explaination of batch files. They are similar to scripts in *nix shell programming, but not nearly as powerful (or useful).

i am just an beginner delphi programmer not a scripter, so that's why i suggested you windows api. you can manage the windows and scroll thing,etc.
also now i was thinking that probably you will be able to handle this problem through a visual basic script.

probably the best solution is to try to reinstall blender, search for some kind of new software and drivers for your video card, or if you can afford buy another one,i don't want to be mean but this problem will persist even somebody can make that application to change the hardware acceleration for you. this is my opinion.

best regards,

I think thats what they are called, it's the -command thing you put after the exe's name, to give it a specific start up property. Anywho, here's my problem, I run a program called Blender, but it runs really slowly due to an OpenGL glitch, so I have to go to::::::

Is there a command line switch that I can implement so that I don't have to go through that process every time I want to run blender?

Help is appreciated, Thanks

yes, you could supposedly do that, by batch file.
The hardware acceleration key is in the registry under the HKLM hive:
In my machine, its like this
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{3E64B6F2-149C-4BDF-A657-822E5EF56A7F}\0000\Acceleration.Level
You have to verify yours...
When the accelaration level is set to None, the key Acceleration.Level becomes 5.
You can export this key out (with value of 5) using regedit. It will be saved as <filename>.reg where <filename> is whatever name you gave it while exporting. Then create a batch file using notepad or your fav editor and type in

reg import mykey.reg
rem your blender command here...

and save it as <somefilename>.bat

Then, execute this batch file on the command line. It should work though.

yes, you could supposedly do that, by batch file.
The hardware acceleration key is in the registry under the HKLM hive:
In my machine, its like this
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{3E64B6F2-149C-4BDF-A657-822E5EF56A7F}\0000\Acceleration.Level
You have to verify yours...
When the accelaration level is set to None, the key Acceleration.Level becomes 5.
You can export this key out (with value of 5) using regedit. It will be saved as <filename>.reg where <filename> is whatever name you gave it while exporting. Then create a batch file using notepad or your fav editor and type in

reg import mykey.reg
rem your blender command here...

and save it as <somefilename>.bat

Then, execute this batch file on the command line. It should work though.

Sorry man, but I have no idea how to do any of this.... =(

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.