Hello. I have a little problem. I recently formated my hard drive and planned on dual booting XP and linux (probably Debian), however my XP will not connect to the internet. Everything worked great before the format.

I know it's not the ISP, NIC, or cabling because if I install linux (Ubuntu was my first test), or run a live CD (using Knoppix right now) the same computer gets on the net.

I've tried every possible thing I can think of. The settings that SHOULD work are currently set to autodetect IP, DNS, etc. I've disabled all the extras at one point or another, and have removed my second NIC to lessen Micro$ofts confusion.

For example, when installing with both cards, Windows 'could not figure out which NIC to connect to the internet with.'

I've since removed every OS from the drive, and restarted with just XP, one NIC, no connection sharing, bypass every other node on the network (directly connected to the cable modem).

XP does see the network however. If i search my 'Network Places' the computer shows up.

Anyone have any thoughts? I don't mind running linux, but it would be nice to have the old 'reliable' system back up while i'm learning the finer details of linux.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

1. ping 127.0.0.1 - if fails reinstall tcp/ip
2. ping your isp - if fails - you're not connected
3. make sure your proxy settings are correct
4. ping google.com (it's open to icmp echo requests) if fails, try using a static setting for DNS, or ping 192.116.202.222 (that's my ISP's DNS)
5. call ISP's techsupport - that's what they are there for

Hello. I have a little problem. I recently formated my hard drive and planned on dual booting XP and linux (probably Debian), however my XP will not connect to the internet. Everything worked great before the format.

I know it's not the ISP, NIC, or cabling because if I install linux (Ubuntu was my first test), or run a live CD (using Knoppix right now) the same computer gets on the net.

I've tried every possible thing I can think of. The settings that SHOULD work are currently set to autodetect IP, DNS, etc. I've disabled all the extras at one point or another, and have removed my second NIC to lessen Micro$ofts confusion.

For example, when installing with both cards, Windows 'could not figure out which NIC to connect to the internet with.'

I've since removed every OS from the drive, and restarted with just XP, one NIC, no connection sharing, bypass every other node on the network (directly connected to the cable modem).

XP does see the network however. If i search my 'Network Places' the computer shows up.

Anyone have any thoughts? I don't mind running linux, but it would be nice to have the old 'reliable' system back up while i'm learning the finer details of linux.

What does Ipconfig/all shows?
You said you set TCP/IP to dynamic?
Did you creat a new conection to your ISP?
Did you tray to right-click Repair your connection? what come back?
Try by Removing the drivers, then removing the nick, and restar, then reinstall the nick, and boot up.
Make sure your services are running

Let me know

Downloaded SP2 while on knoppix, copied it to a usb drive and installed it on XP. As soon as it rebooted I was online.

Don't know why it wouldn't work in SP1...this isn't the first time I've reinstalled stuff...

Ho hum...thanks for the advice all ;)

Some ISPs require SP2 for security reasons.

whoa! :) this is news for me :)

I did not know that. Good to know. Thanks!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.