My friend deleted all her media on pc, after thinking she'd backed it up (but it didn't work) and emptied the recyle bin. I know there's programs out there to recover files in this instance but can someone suggest a reliable/safe one please? she's running windows XP service pack 1.

It would mean alot if she could get it all back :)

(and no the "she" is not a reference to me, my friend is that silly to back it up and not check it first :P ;) )

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Well, if no formatting has been done this is possibly the most straightforward app to run.
Dload it [rest2514.exe] to a floppy using ANOTHER machine, unzip it to the same floppy, and then run restoration.exe from the floppy.
Advantage of that is there is no installation, so no writing to HD at all. Be inventive in use of search parameters otherwise she's gonna get flooded with old temp inet files....
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html
Anything with more power pretty much requires installation...
Another neat n simple job is PCI Inspector's File recovery, but it requires installation, with possibility of overwriting.....

thanks, she "may try it" :)

Member Avatar for kiamzattu

Hi

Try downloading Tune-Up utilities from www.tune-up.com
It has a feature called Tune-up Undelete which recovers deleted
files especially media files...

regards
Anand

commented: good post +4

Hi

Try downloading Tune-Up utilities from www.tune-up.com
It has a feature called Tune-up Undelete which recovers deleted
files especially media files...

regards
Anand

Clicked this thread planning on suggesting this application... good call.

Member Avatar for kiamzattu

Thanks for the compliment Duki

thanks guys :) i will let you know if succesful

you could try the (slightly rubbish i know, but doe the job) Norton GoBack.
It take ur hard drive back to a time in history, only after it has been installed i might add.

Aye, i asked that first lol. She doesn't have it installed.

she's a casual lass, obv not concerned about overwriting her lost files...

You can also try to recover deleted files with Easy File Undelete software:

http://www.munsoft.com/EasyFileUndelete/

It uses unique modern algorithms to recover files that other software either recovers incorrectly or is unable to detect.

Hi :icon_smile:
I am Mathew, coincidentally i also facing same problem few days ago then i search recovery software's over net and discuss with my friends. I found several results over internet but no one work for my need but after some time surf over net i saw Recover Data, data recovery software and download it from http://www.windowsdiskrecovery.com/download software takes some time (1 or 2 hours) to scan my hard drive and finally shows my desired files.

I also recommend this software for all users who facing the same problem...

Visit for more info about this software Windows Data Recovery

I hope this software is helpful for your need

Thanks...

Thank you very much for your help!! Just recovered a bunch of work that is very important to me. You are great!
SNIP

My friend deleted all her media on pc, after thinking she'd backed it up (but it didn't work) and emptied the recyle bin. I know there's programs out there to recover files in this instance but can someone suggest a reliable/safe one please? she's running windows XP service pack 1.

It would mean alot if she could get it all back :)

(and no the "she" is not a reference to me, my friend is that silly to back it up and not check it first :P ;) )

If your friend Recycle Bin is empty, you can try an undelete tool, such as Advanced File Recovery, GetData Back or R-Studio. I prefer the first one. You've got to choose ;).

Replying to an old post.
Here is an excellent, Free program to recover accidentally deleted files;

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

commented: Thanks for Recuva. I trust ccleaner so I expect recuva to be just as trustworthy. +1
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.