When I try to get on the internet through MSN explorer, the screen states that it is redialing, then states "Could not log in to internet explorer, there may be a problem with their service or my connection". What can I do?

When I try to get on the internet through MSN explorer, the screen states that it is redialing, then states "Could not log in to internet explorer, there may be a problem with their service or my connection". What can I do?

Well, there are a couple of things you should try. First, we need to verify if you are really connected to the Internet or not. To do this, Click Start->Run and type in "command" (w/o the quotes) in the little box that appears, and hit enter. This will bring up a command prompt. From there, type "ping www.yahoo.com" (w/o the quotes -- and make sure there is a space between "ping" and "www") and hit enter. If you get "reply" with some numbers listed, then your connection to the Internet works. If not, then you will get an error like "Destination not found" -- this means you are not connected to the Net.

If you -can- connect to the Net, try opening up "my computer", and in the address bar, typing in http://www.yahoo.com -- see if you can get to the Net that way.

Also, some other information would be helpful. Are you dialing up to the Net or are you on a cable modem/DSL? What version of Windows do you have (Win98, Win2000, WinXP?)

Let us know how it goes, and we will try to help you from there. ;)

Vermonter.

Vermonter,
So far so good. I was able to "ping", and got the reply with numbers listed. Then I was able to connect by opening up "My Computer".
In answer to your questions, I have Windows XP Home Edition, and have dial up connection. What can I do now to fix my connection? Thanks-look forward to your continued assistance!

Sorry I havn't been in touch, I have been offline the last couple of days. The next step is to get MSN IE to reconfigure itself. There are two ways to do this. The first is to go to tools->options, select the "Connections" tab, and run through the . . . I think it is called "Internet Connection Wizard". Sorry that is a bit vague, I run Linux at home, and don't have IE to look at right here.

If that doesn't work, the next thing I would try would be to re-install MSN IE -- you may need to back-up your favorites. If you get to the point of needing to do that, your favorites are kept in C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME\Favorites -- just copy that folder to your desktop just to be safe.

I hope this makes sense, I usually give Windows advice while infront of a Win box, but I didn't want to leave you hanging any longer.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes!

-vermonter.

Thanks for the response. I tried the first option you suggested, and it did not work. How do I re-install MSN IE? I really appreciate your help - I have had no other luck getting a response, and this problem is driving me crazy. Feel any pressure? Just kidding. When you get the opportunity, let me know how to re-install MSN IE. Thanks again,
AJUSER1

I really appreciate your help - I have had no other luck getting a response, and this problem is driving me crazy.

I feel your pain :)

Feel any pressure? Just kidding.

Nah -- I interned at a large accounting corp. in Boston once. I had a guy come up to me and say "There is a group of men in an office talking about Millions of dollars, and the projecter won't work -- fix it" -- that was a lot of pressure ;)

Okay, I have personally never installed MSN IE before, however I found this link which should: http://explorer.msn.com/install.htm

Let me know how it goes. I am at work now, and in and out of my office, so I cannot promise a response till tonight.

Good luck!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.