When going to certain sites, CBS, Netflix and so on I get boxes with red x's in them and no pictures. If i go to the ToolBar View and Encoding and select either Western European (Windows) or Unicode UTF-8 I then get pictures. These selections have to be made every time I go to these sites, the selection I make in the Encoding area doesn't hold. How can I get the Encoding selection of Western European (Windows) or Unicode UTF-8 to hold? The UTF-8 may not be correct I didn't write it down but it is U?F-8.

Thanks

RJR

Recommended Answers

All 25 Replies

Follow my steps carefully
Open up IE
Go to Tools Tab
Go to Internet Options

Once your there go to Advanced tab

Go under multimedia and select/check "Show Pictures"

Thanks.... I'll do that right now. I have talked to the Explorer Tech's, Yahoo Tech's and SBC Tech's and all say the problem isn't thiers. I've been trying to get help for this problem for three months.

Again Thanks

Went to the Internet options, advanced, checked show pictures box..it's checked. Problem still exist. Tried using other browsers and I still have to click View, Encoding and either Western European Windows or Unicode UTF-8 before pictures come up in the boxes. These selections won't hold when I go to other sites. I spent four hours on the phone with the Explorer Tech and they still couldn't solve this problem. Maybe it's an unsolveable problem. I'm willing to try any advice for a solution you can give me. I'm really getting frustrated with the problem.

RJR

It could be spyware/malware releated ,check out the Security section and get some of the recomended programs to check your computer .

I agree but, the simple fix is what I have posted but, like caper said it is spyware so that fix will not do it fully.

When going to certain sites, CBS, Netflix and so on I get boxes with red x's in them and no pictures. If i go to the ToolBar View and Encoding and select either Western European (Windows) or Unicode UTF-8 I then get pictures. These selections have to be made every time I go to these sites, the selection I make in the Encoding area doesn't hold. How can I get the Encoding selection of Western European (Windows) or Unicode UTF-8 to hold? The UTF-8 may not be correct I didn't write it down but it is U?F-8.

Thanks

RJR

I have this exact same problem--have you found a fix?

I have this exact same problem--have you found a fix?

So ,you do do you ,did you try the fix from a few post above this one by Mad Dog,and did it not work for You .

MadDogs suggestion from above .==
Follow my steps carefully
Open up IE
Go to Tools Tab
Go to Internet Options

Once your there go to Advanced tab

Go under multimedia and select/check "Show Pictures"

================================

Hopefully it does because I don't know what else can cause that I am out of ideas.

Spyware sucks.

To everyone on this thread, I have followed all suggestions and many more and all I do is create even more problems. I will keep trying and if I get a fix I will post it for anyone who can use it.

Thanks

RJR

It is possiable that there is a Malware/spyware or trojan/virus causing you problem .
If you go to the security section of this fourm you will be givin guidence to a program called hijackthis ,and it could help detect what might be causing problem.
You can get hiajckthis in my signature .in the RemovalTools link .

I have had the same problem for over a year. I just found a cure for mine...hope it works for you.

REGEDIT HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\CodePage.

There should be a string value Named 28591 with a value of C_28591.NLS for NT, 2000, or XP (Cp_28591.nls for 98 or ME). If not there create it. This fixed my problem. If the entry is there look in Windows\System32 for the nls file. If it is not there, that is probably the problem.

Biff

BIFF....I found the CP_28591.nls in the Registry. It has a (ab) in the box to the left. What does that mean? I went to windows explorer, system32 and there is no .nls file in there. Any advice on what I need to do next?

Thanks RJR

I have been on this thread and other help spots for awhile now and I have finally solved my problems. I had trouble with red x's in the boxes in most of my Internet sites, I had problems with Media Player and Real Player and all of my problems have gone away since I installed Windows XP Home Edition. I was using Windows 98 (not 98SE).

Hope this helps others with these problems.

RJR

I get the same problems as RJR had. I check on Western European (Windows) and it's fine. But when I open a new page it switches to Unicode. It will not stay put.
When I check Auto-select an Install on demand window pops up saying to download Language Auto-Selection Uniscribe. I click download and this 'SBC Yahoo! Internet Explorer Installation' window pops up saying it needs the SBC cd that was used when the Internet was put on this computer. I just know that IE doesn't need this cd. I searched the internet for the file but with no luck. There's gotta be one out there. That registry file is in there also and in the system folder.

I wish I could just save the encoding on Western Europeon (Windows).
If someone can help I'd appreciate it.

emosewadude.....I started this thread concerning the problem you are asking about. I had a multitude of other problems along with this one. I couldn't get help from anywhere, and I tried every where and every one. I was using windows 98 and a 450 processor. All of my problems were solved by upgradeing to windows xp Home Edition. I still have the 450 processor but everything is working just fine. One caution though. When told to install the service pack 2, unless MicroSoft has sent out a fix, service pack may cause your computer to lock or other wise act up.

RJR

this seems to be an odd conflict with Windows 98, internet explorer, and SBC. (also seems like having had Prodigy for an ISP is a factor.) I spent hours on the phone with MS and SBC. each blames the other for the problem and none of their suggested fixes work.

I solved the problem on my own by uninstalling SBC's connection manager. periodically it reoccurs (once a month?) and I have to go to control panel>add/remove programs and "repair internet explorer" and restart. every once in a while this fix doesn't work, I spend all day jerking around with it, unsuccessfully, and the next day the PC works just fine anyway. I've tried the registry fix among others, and for some reason the encoding just won't "stick" even when you try to force it to Western European.

I love the way everyone rolls their eyes and tells us to go to Options and "Show Pictures" like we're idiots. that's usually the first thing someone posts, even if you bother to explain that aren't a total idiot and you've already tried that.

Hello Fellow users of SBC, IE 6, and Windows98. I, too, have the encoding switcharoo problem and nothing seems to help. This must be a lethal combination, but unfortunately, they are all major applications that can't be easily changed, like a simple program. I have a new XP machine that runs perfectly with SBC browser and/or IE 6. I found it odd that my searches for help with this IE "no picture" problem yielded mostly results for XP. There are tons of problems/solutions for XP/IE users and even several rumors mentioning that a new IE 7 could be launched just for XP users. Mine couldn't run any better!
I agree, it is very annoying when the first thing everyone tells us to check is the obvious "Show Pictures" in the IE toolbar. I roll my eyes and pretend to go through the motions of checking... yeah-yeah. Next they will want to check the registry keys and then tell you that your browser is corrupted. Lastly, they will either blame it on another source or say, "it's probably spyware, adware, or other malicious source". I went as far as a full restore on my Windows98 machine, which wiped out everything but factory installed programs/drivers. I reinstalled SBCyahoo by trying different methods... I tried installing from the installation disk, downloading from the SBCyahoo website, and lastly... downloading IE 6 from Microsoft's website.
SBCyahoo tech support in India was horrible, everytime. Compaq combed through everything they could think of (for over an hour) and found the Encoding problem, which was somewhat of a relief just to finally know why I coudn't see pics or graphics correctly. My Windows98 machine wasn't even under warranty and it was FREE support. He told me to update my video/display drivers and some other Windows components (since I recently restored my pc) and to call back if the encoding problem isn't fixed. It still isn't fixed, but since we found the problem, I thought I'd search for the solution online first before calling back.. that's how I found this site.
One last thing I'd like to point out to whomever might be interested in helping resolve this... the SBCyahoo browser has similar functions in the toolbar, however, it doesn't have the capability of changing the Encoding. Encoding is nowhere to be found, so if you want to see pics or graphics by changing the Encoding on each page you go to, you must use the IE stand-alone browser, not SBCyahoo. Also, I can always see all pics and graphics correctly with either browser on all of SBCyahoo website pages.
Mizsydney... how do you connect to the net without connection manager, do you use the IE or other software?
Thanks for taking the time to read my post! ;o)

I agree, it is very annoying when the first thing everyone tells us to check is the obvious "Show Pictures" in the IE toolbar.

only ovesious if you know that the setting exist in IE ,a lot of usesers don't!:)
I decided a long time ago that I hate Yahoo Anything :)

only ovesious if you know that the setting exist in IE ,a lot of usesers don't!:)
I decided a long time ago that I hate Yahoo Anything :)

I do have to admit, I didn't know it was there, until the first suggestion I got to go and make sure it was enabled, hehe. :mrgreen: What I really meant to say was that I was getting burn-out on the same suggestions from everyone. They just want to help the best way they know how, but I'm just after something new to try.

About my SBCyahoo! service... I have used them as my ISP for over 2 years and I love the server reliability, connection speed, and the price. Their email service and browser have always worked like a charm for me, like it currently does on my XP pc. Their software runs smoothely, without crashes. They also "used" to have good tech support... that is, until they forwarded all support issues to India! :eek: All of my experiences with them have resulted in difficult to understand and very cranky individuals. I'm the one with the problem, so I should be the one who gets cranky, hehe.

About a year ago, I upgraded IE 4 to 5.5 on my Windows 98 pc and that's when the picture display problem first occurred. I went back to version 4 and solved that. After buying my XP pc and moving data over to it, I decided it was time to do a full restore on my Windows 98 pc, to freshen it up. I reinstalled SBCyahoo! and wham, no pics again. This time, IE 6 was the culprit. Went back to IE 4 and it didn't work right when signing-on/logging-in to my account in the SBCyahoo browser... it somehow lost compatibility.

I will now be focusing on researching the Opera browser as a replacement, thanks to a recommendation on this site. Better than blowing time looking for a solution for a non-secure browser... although anything unresolved will probably continue to nag at me, so please feel welcome to email me any ideas.

Thanks for reading ;O),
Tracy

I use IE 6. I discovered the SBC Yahoo Connection Manager "fix" after I bought a new HDD and started reinstalling stuff. IE worked fine until I installed CM and went back to the Red Xs just after, so I uninstalled it and it's been fine ever since.

IE will connect without CM, you just have to set it up to not try to dial-up. you lose the status check and connection help, but it really didn't help me much anyway. I don't miss it a bit anymore.

I included win98 in my search phrase, so all my hits were w98. I didn't realize this is an XP issue too! I've been planning to upgrade to XP once MS decides if they will or won't support it, their decision to stop supporting 5-years-or-older software worries me since win2k and xp are about 5 years old now. New OS? or continued support? I don't want to upgrade and have to REupgrade right away. too many issues. BUT I was looking forward to XP permanently solving the Red X issue even if it created other problems. I guess I can't rely on XP to solve this problem after all.

I hope you find something to help you! I too noticed that the SBC browser didn't solve the problem either AND won't let you set encoding.

I've had other IE/W98 conflicts with the drivers for my Sound Blaster sound card. I wonder if that is a contributing factor - does anyone else with this problem have a Sound Blaster?

I uninstalled the Connection Manager (from ADD/REMOVE Programs) and connected with IE and still have the red X problem, rats! Perhpas I need to uninstall all of the SBC software and leave out CM when reinstalling. Although I don't recall ever being able to "custom" install certain componants.
I have a different sound card than you, I believe it's ATI Rage Lite Pro or something similar, but no problems with IE sound.
I have my DSL modem (Speedsteam 5100) installed, along with a Linksys router, on my Win98 pc. I have a new XP pc, which is connected to the router, that also uses SBCyahoo browser and it works perfectly. It doesn't use Connection Manager because XP has it's own ethernet adapter and network connector built right in.
When I was searching the net for solutions, I was searching for "internet explorer red x". At the time, I didn't know about the encoding. The results that mentioned XP didn't say anything about encoding or SBC, it was just general problems caused by things unrelated to our circumstances. My XP pc works too good, hehe, meaning... my son and hubby want on it. I need to get theirs fixed cuz I don't share well with others. :cool:
Upgrading the OS sounds too scary to me. My Win98 pc is made up of devices, componants, drivers, etc. that are compatible with Win98. I'm no computer tech, but upgrading to XP sounds like opening a door to a world of problems, although I know people do it everyday. When XP first came out, they had so many compatibility problems, that Microsoft was actually furnishing, free of charge, compatible components/devices to them. I know of a couple people... one got a free printer, another got a monitor. I'm assuming most of the incompatible devices were originally designed for Win98. I'm just not computer-savy enough (nor do I have the patience) to dive in and deal with the problems that I think I will have with my antique devices.
Keep me posted! ;O)

I may have abbreviated too much - once I figured out the problem, I uninstalled all the SBC software and reinstalled IE. if you're using a router, you don't need any of the SBC stuff. your connection is basically always on, and connection problems are solved at the router level instead of the PC level.

like I said, I still have problems - I will be happily browsing along for hours without problems, and suddenly I get the Red X attack and have to repair or reinstall IE. then everything is fine for a month.

it's odd that so many people have this problem and no one has come up with a true, permanent, solution.

Hey, I'm so happy to finally be able to report that I have fixed my problem with the red x's! :cheesy: I actually fixed it about 5 days ago, but I've been holding out on posting about it, had to be sure the problem didn't reoccur.

It's a little ironic how it happened though... I was tired of wasting my time trying to fix that crappy browser and decided to download a new browser, Opera. After installing Opera, I opened IE browser to access some bookmarks and noticed all my pics and graphics were back. I opted to add the latest java version to the Opera download, so the java update itself, had to be what fixed my red x problem. This is great because that pc is my husband and son's and they aren't "change" friendly. I think the Opera browser would have been an excellent tool for them, but they were really "boo-ing" it. I wasn't looking forward to listening to the constant complaining about how the old browser was so much easier to use, not to mention me having to redo all of their bookmarks, etc.

The information on the version of the Java update that I got is as follows...
This is what's under ADD/REMOVE Programs on my pc:
Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.2_06
This is what the folder is named:
j2re1.4.2_0

I think it's worth mentioning that the encoding still constantly switches between Unicode, Western European (ISO) and Western European (Windows), even though 'Auto Select' is NOT "checked". Perhaps the switching itself, isn't really the root of the red x problem. All pages appear to be normal, regardless of the encoding that it "shows" it's using.

I hope this is a fix for everyone. If you try this, please post your results here, I'm interested in them.
Good luck! ;O)

I just read this post (the quoted one here, by hartshaped). After reading it I downloaded and installed "Opera", It seems my red x in place of the pictures and the encoding trouble in my IE6 are also fixed.

It was easier than manually editing the registry too. If all keeps working I may uninstall "Opera", since it requires money to remove the ads.

Thanks Hartshaped!!! :)

I was tired of wasting my time trying to fix that crappy browser and decided to download a new browser, Opera. After installing Opera, I opened IE browser to access some bookmarks and noticed all my pics and graphics were back. I opted to add the latest java version to the Opera download, so the java update itself, had to be what fixed my red x problem. This is great because that pc is my husband and son's and they aren't "change" friendly. I think the Opera browser would have been an excellent tool for them, but they were really "boo-ing" it. I wasn't looking forward to listening to the constant complaining about how the old browser was so much easier to use, not to mention me having to redo all of their bookmarks, etc.

The information on the version of the Java update that I got is as follows...
This is what's under ADD/REMOVE Programs on my pc:
Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.2_06
This is what the folder is named:
j2re1.4.2_0

I think it's worth mentioning that the encoding still constantly switches between Unicode, Western European (ISO) and Western European (Windows), even though 'Auto Select' is NOT "checked". Perhaps the switching itself, isn't really the root of the red x problem. All pages appear to be normal, regardless of the encoding that it "shows" it's using.

I hope this is a fix for everyone. If you try this, please post your results here, I'm interested in them.
Good luck! ;O)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.