To anyone that can help me:

I opened internet explorer and recieved the standard "cannot dispaly this page" error. I have a compaq presario and i'm running windows XP and am on a LAN line. Internet explorer won't let me go to any websites at all and if it wasn't for netscape i would be really lost right now. i have had this problem once before and found out it was spyware, this may be the case now but i have no idea how to fix it. i have run my spyware problem and retrieved some things but it does not seem like it helped.

here is my hijackthis log...

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 8:19:09 PM, on 9/6/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\QCDriver\LVCOMS.EXE
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\Program Files\Inverse IP InSight\PenTele\ARUpld32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msCMTSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Inverse IP InSight\PenTele\ARMon32a.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YPager.exe
C:\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape\Netscp.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 5 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://channels.aimtoday.com/search/aimtoolbar.jsp
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://channels.aimtoday.com/search/aimtoolbar.jsp
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "http://www.google.com/"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\o5g6ppqf.slt\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {00000EF1-0786-4633-87C6-1AA7A44296DA} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\ATPART~1.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: AIM Search - {40D41A8B-D79B-43d7-99A7-9EE0F344C385} - C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\AIMBar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\VERITAS Software\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpyHunter] "C:\Program Files\VERITAS Software\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [S3TRAY2] S3tray2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LVCOMS] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\QCDriver\LVCOMS.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechImageStudioTray] C:\Program Files\Logitech\ImageStudio\LogiTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechGalleryRepair] C:\Program Files\Logitech\ImageStudio\ISStart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AIM Search - res://C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\AIMBar.dll/aimsearch.htm
O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {D30CA0FD-1CA0-11D4-AC78-006008A9A8BC} (WebBasedClientInstall Class) - http://anti-virus.albright.edu/webinstall/webinst.cab

i hope that you can give me some guidance.

rebecca

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Ok first off just a few things you can only post hijack this logs in the security forum and you should make sure to update your hijackthis to the latest one.

From what you describe it is not a spyware problem but probably a problem with your connection settings. If you are on a lan line make sure that in internet options<connections tab that when you click on the button lan settings that it is set to auto detect lan settings.

i only attached the hijack this log because i thought maybe it would help with my problem...and changing the settings for LAN connection doesn't help

Well your lucky no mods where looking at this post. Posting hijackthis logs in forums that dont allow em is really annoying. But i dont see any spyware.

so what should i do? it's all fun talking about how i shouldn't have put in the hijackthis log....but my problem still exists

You've got some spyware and adware in that PC, you need to post up that hijack log in the Security forum, that's where the experts who could help you hang out.

ALso, read this thread, it will give you some good advice about how to clean, and defend yourself better.

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread5690.html

Good luck, get that malware out of your system, and you'll probably solve your problem with it.

You could have some issues with something other than IE.

Have you tried accessing the web using some other browser, like Firefox? Give that a shot-- download another browser from another machine onto CD, and then install it, and try to get on the web. Let us know what happens then.

so what should i do? it's all fun talking about how i shouldn't have put in the hijackthis log....but my problem still exists

The other users are right about not posting HJT logs in forums other than the Security forum. The only reason you should post a log is because you suspect spyware. Spyware problems and IE problems almost go hand in hand. Additionally, removal of certain types of spyware can lead to your inability to connect to the Internet. That, would be considered a consequence of having spyware on your system, and that would be handled in the Security forum.

i'm currently using netscape to access webpages and that is working fine but i need my internet explorer access back.

If another browser is working fine, you should take the advice others have given:

1. Download the latest version of HijackThis (it probes/reports on more areas of your system that previous versions).

2. When you download the latest HJT, save it in its own separate directory on your drive (something like C:\HijackThis or C:\Spyware Tools\HijackThis will do). Do not run HJT from within any Temp or Temporary Internet folder (as you are doing now), and do not save it directly to/run it directly from your desktop.

3. Post a description of your problem, along with a fresh HJT log, in the Security forum.

ok beca first your right about the adware or spyware messing with your ieexplorer its something that needs an ip fix program unfourtnatly i dont know where to get one for you yet i am seeking one now and will post if i find one

jonny :-|

ok beca first your right about the adware or spyware messing with your ieexplorer its something that needs an ip fix program...

Assuming that you're talking about the programs which repair a damaged TCP/IP or LSP stack- be careful about instructing people to use those programs without guidance. Misusing such programs or trying to use them in the wrong circumstance can actually make matters worse.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.