:) Hi, I'm new here, and am glad I found some professionals that I'm sure can help me. I'm not really "up" on computer things, ( limited knowledge but learning), so forgive me if I sound a little ignorant on some things:o
I have Windows ME on my computer, with 256.0 MB RAM.
My son has done the installing, and usually all my troubleshooting, but He has a family and job and is limited to all he can do for me. The problem I have is that when I use my mouse to open something, there is hesitation before it opens the command. Sometimes it's worse than others. I try to restart my computer, and sometimes it seems to help, and other times it doesn't. Could you give me some direction on what is going on? Thanks a lot for your help.

The problem I have is that when I use my mouse to open something, there is hesitation before it opens the command. Sometimes it's worse than others. I try to restart my computer, and sometimes it seems to help, and other times it doesn't.

There are a number of things that can cause this problem, the most likely being that something is using 100% of your CPU cycles. Since you are a novice, we will take a slightly more circuitous route that, still, will get us to a useful place.

Start by doing a "three-fingered salute"--that is, press the [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Del] key combination once. This will bring up the Task Manager window. Copy down the list of running programs that appears there, and post it.

How do you hook to the Internet? Which anti-virus program are you running? Has your son scanned your system for adware or spyware lately?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.