Hello, as you will see I am new, and I would like to be honest with you all and say have joined this forum for the express purppose of getting some help as I am desperate - BUT - if anyone is kind enough to help me out please be assured I fully intend to stay a member and try and help others too.

I am having some real problems with my browser. My PC runs Win XP and I use IE, I work online all day across a variety of sites, but two for the majority of the time.

The problem I'm having is that after a certain amount of time on the sites that I'm on all the time, when I've been online and working for a while, when I refresh my internet freezes initially and then shows an 'Page cannot be displayed' message. The site will then not reload, even if I try a differnt page, nor will any other pages and I have to restart my machine.

On an average day this happens maybe five times, today it seemed to be every hour which has made me so desperate.

My PC is not amazing, but fairly up to date (bog standard Dell Dimension) and I have upgraded the memory to 2MB DDR2.

My internet is 4MB broadband with ethernet connection.

I delete my temp internet files, defrag my hard drive and run basic Windows prompted maintenance from my control panel on a weekly basis.

If anyone has the time or patience to help I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance, Tumpy119

Hello, as you will see I am new, and I would like to be honest with you all and say have joined this forum for the express purppose of getting some help as I am desperate - BUT - if anyone is kind enough to help me out please be assured I fully intend to stay a member and try and help others too.

I am having some real problems with my browser. My PC runs Win XP and I use IE, I work online all day across a variety of sites, but two for the majority of the time.

The problem I'm having is that after a certain amount of time on the sites that I'm on all the time, when I've been online and working for a while, when I refresh my internet freezes initially and then shows an 'Page cannot be displayed' message. The site will then not reload, even if I try a differnt page, nor will any other pages and I have to restart my machine.

On an average day this happens maybe five times, today it seemed to be every hour which has made me so desperate.

My PC is not amazing, but fairly up to date (bog standard Dell Dimension) and I have upgraded the memory to 2MB DDR2.

My internet is 4MB broadband with ethernet connection.

I delete my temp internet files, defrag my hard drive and run basic Windows prompted maintenance from my control panel on a weekly basis.

If anyone has the time or patience to help I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance, Tumpy119

Crikey, Tumpy119! Have you been reading my mind?!!! This is EXACTLY why I joined, 'cause I'm having the same problem. In my case I've recently upgraded to IE 7.0.5730.11 and downloaded all the support bits, new Java VM, etc I also run XP on a custom built 'puter. This is a BAFFLING, FRUSTRATING problem ... because the error message - something like 1209, but that's not exactly it - says I'm not connected. But I am. I can ping and everything. And Outlook still works. Thank goodness I've also got Firefox, which seems okay.

Can someone help Tumpy119 and me. Please!!! [begging smilie]

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.