Hihi all,

I have just recently caused a problem, while running an update for Phoenix Bios for my mothers laptop, i downloaded and installed it but now the computer refuses to boot, the initial startup screen pops up and then the computer goes blank. I thought i was doing the right thing too, shesh, it came from Toshiba's software webpage too.

Regards,
LesserCormorant.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

never flash a bios unless obsolutely necessary.

CAN U GO INTO THE BIOS WHEN THE PC STARTS.??? can u get to safe mode

Nope, it starts up the opening page with just two options, setup or multiboot, then goes blank.

did you not create a backup of the old bios when install the new one, for time like this ,you would have been prompted to do it when install new one .what was wrong with the laptop that it needed a bios update??

I updated the BIOS thinking it would be a good thing, it came from the Toshiba webpage under updates and was for that model of toshiba Laptop, it did make a backup of the old bios but the problem is i can not access it, can not enter safe mode or anything, it shows the startup screen, i can enter setup but thats it, if allowed to continue on the screen goes blank.

Regards,
LesserCormorant

go into the setup and set defaults ,
after a bios update the first thing you are suppose to do is go into bios/setup and set default setting ,save settings and then reboot computer

I have already been into setup and reset them back to default, unfortunatly it continues as it was before.

Regards,
LesserCormorant

I have already been into setup and reset them back to default, unfortunatly it continues as it was before.

Regards,
LesserCormorant

you made a backup of old bios ,where did you copy it too.

it made the backup internally, so it is stored within the computer.

Regards,
LesserCormorant.

it made the backup internally, so it is stored within the computer.

Regards,
LesserCormorant.

only option that come to mind is to remove hdd and connect it to another computer via a usb device,and copy the backup to a floppy disk [if your laptop has a floppy disk drive] along with the program to run the update.i maybe wrong as i've only ever flashed a PC desktop bios using a floppy disk never from with in windows as some of the newer ones do today ..

remove the battery and if ther are access to a jumper to reset it, leave the batter out for a day or so then install battery then boot should get cmos error, press either F1 or F@ to restore defaults

remove the battery and if ther are access to a jumper to reset it, leave the batter out for a day or so then install battery then boot should get cmos error, press either F1 or F@ to restore defaults

they said they all ready set the defaults after the flash! what removing the battery going to do,it will not restore the bios before the flash ,the backed up flash is needed for that

Unfortunatly the laptop doesn't have a floppy disk drive. I removed the HDD but unfortunatly the connecter is unlike any I have.

Regards,
LesserCormorant

Unfortunatly the laptop doesn't have a floppy disk drive. I removed the HDD but unfortunatly the connecter is unlike any I have.

Regards,
LesserCormorant

you will need to find someone or a computer shop to fix your problem ,you need a laptop hdd usb device and then you will need a external floppy or something like that to run the flash software again.its obvious that you are not going to be able to do this yourself and nothing anyone tells you here will fix it !

Thanks to all for your help, thankfully the laptop in question is still under waranty so it is currently on it's way back to Melbourne, had the local Toshiba repair center take a quick look at it, thanks to a friend of a friend and they believe it is a hardware problem.

Thanks again
LesserCormorant

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.