So, I'm silly. I plugged my hair dryer into the same power strip as my computer. The end result was my computer totally going out. So, I tried to reboot my computer and once I got past the boot screen, some blue screen flashes up really fast. It was white words on it. But I can never read it fast enough. Then it goes to the black screen that says "Start windows normallY' or whatever and "safe mode" "safemode with networking" so on and so on. So I tried to start it normally. And it restarted and went back to the same screen. I tried it a couple more times. Then finally went to safemode with networking. My ex told me to run the diagnostics test at the begining. So i did and it said my drive passed. But it still wouldn't let me boot normally. So here I am on safemode and searching the net trying to figure out what to do.
A bit of information I should add is that I have a dell, and i've had it for some time. So my system restore disk is long gone. As are all my other CD's because i'm away at college right now.

Can anyone help me? I'll give you a million dollars!

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Nevermind. I'm a genius. I fixed it. xD

I'll give myself a million dollars!

Hi, I have this exact problem, im now running safe mode with network. Please help me!

Tried to do that restore point stuff, and it didnt work.

Would be forever great full !!!!

Hi, I have this exact problem, im now running safe mode with network. Please help me!

Tried to do that restore point stuff, and it didnt work.

Would be forever great full !!!!

maybe you both had the same hair dryer!

Yea, it is only a certain kind of hairdryer causing this problem. We found if you plug in the same brand microwave, you get the same problem. I will never buy that brand of hairdryer or microwave again. lol.

Hi,
Please tell us all what you did to fix it and the brand of hairdryer and microwave, LOL.

I think anyone that posts on this thread should get a share of the million!!

commented: +1 +2

cannot start windows xp.i see only on the left upside side of screen a cursor (-). and stops there for ever.

could you tell me how you did this as im having same problem,,,,,

could you tell me how you did this as im having same problem,,,,,

could any one help me

could any one help me

you need to explain you problem in more detail,saying i have the same problem is not enough ,the original posted said they plugged in a hair dryer into to the same power jack ,,did you actually do this also!

Aw.. you're a mean bunch!
Chaz, caper would really like to know the blue-screen error message contents ie the numbers, and files if mentioned. The moment it flashes up tap your Pause key to freeze it, Enter to continue. Be waiting for it....

do these steps one at a time and try to boot up in between...if it boots normally stop running the rest of the fixes they won't be necessary...

if you don't have a retail copy of windows XP...We will have to create a XP Recovery Disk

• Please create a new folder on your desktop called XP Recovery Disk
  • Download the recovery_console_cd.zip and unzip it to the newly created XP Recovery Disk folder.
  • Download the correct floppy disk setup package for your operating system from Microsoft and save it to the XP Recovery Disk folder;

XP Home Original: Here
    XP Pro Original: Here
    XP Home SP1: Here
    XP Pro SP1: Here
    XP Home SP2: Here
    XP Pro SP2: Here

• Rename the downloaded file to Bootdisk.exe
  • Double click the RecoveryCD.bat file and follow the instructions.
  • When you get asked if you want to burn a CD, type y and hit enter.
  • A pop-up should come up, please click on Close

This just created a file called XP RC.ISO

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. click on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its XP rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

when you boot from rc.iso you will get a blue screen and it will say setup is loading files...
then it will say its starting windows...
you will get to a screen that says ...do you want to install windows or 2nd choice it to repair windows..
press r to repair...you will get to a ...C:\>.......this is where you type in chkdsk /r

type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

While chkdsk is running you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. or a black dos box depending on on which cd you use... Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.

NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete...it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...
remove the rc.iso cd and reboot...if it does not boot into windows

boot from the cd again...
then type fixmbr press enter...reboot
no joy ....boot from the cd again...
type in fixboot press enter...reboot
nojoy...boot from the cd again...

Type in bootcfg /scan and press enter

if it says total identified window installs: 1

Type in bootcfg /rebuild and press Enter...

It will identify your XP installation...type Y once you see this prompt.

You will be prompted to enter the load identifier...type in Microsoft XP Home Edition or Microsoft XP Professional depending on whichever version you have...press enter

You will be prompted to enter the load options...type in /fastdetect and press Enter

Type in exit and press Enter

remove the cd and Reboot

still no joy...
get memtest 86here ...this will test your memory...let it run for at least 2 hours...if you get any errors then the ram is bad and will have to be replaced...no errors after 2 hours.......then its probably good and we can try other things..
it will run until you press the escape key
the how to is here..

What!!??
Nov 2007 the first hairdryer got burned, then Nov 2008 it happens again, almost 1 year to the date after the first, and now, in 2010, there is another hairdryer case....? (There seems to be a pattern here, maybe its a new world order?)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.