I don't know one other person who likes Vista better than 7. For that matter I don't even know anyone who likes Vista.

I just don't like the way 7 is setup, it feels like they tried to do too much. I'm on W7 here at work but at home I have already gone back to Vista. Soon as I get a chance I'll be moving this computer back to Vista as well.

EDIT: Also, I *REALLY* hate the new taskbar and start menu in 7.

Recommended Answers

All 30 Replies

I have not worked with Windows7, but I have prepared to test it next month. But to the issue, I am still using the classic theme known from Windows 2000( or 95), but with the new Start menu.
Now I am using at home Windows 2008 and I am very happy with it. And they both have Vista core, except Vista has more crap and junk added to it. Of course I play games on the Windows 2008 server:)

The problem is mostly in memory (RAM) and on how you take care of the OS. I hardly think, that the general population run defragmentation of HDD or cleanDisk on monthly basis.

And you can always disable the "features" that you don't like. Or just use another GUI for OS :)

PS: I got my OS from school's MSDN license. :)

Answering your question - I think yes, you are the only person.

I hate the new taskbar in win7 but i *love* it under the hood.

I hardly think, that the general population run defragmentation of HDD or cleanDisk on monthly basis.

They will run defrag regularly if they leave thier machine on ovenight or something. Default behaviour is to run a low-priority non-optimising defrag when idle on AC power for a set period of time.

i know it doesn't mean much but i skipped vista ,went right to win7 ,and love it, and the new task bar is my favorite option ,and the start menu is great to ,not much different than vista in short i really like Win7,maybe because i got it for FREE from Microsoft,lol

I don't see much different about the task bar in Win7 and Vista or XP. One minor difference is that Win7 lets you easily pin any program you want to it. Other than that, it looks just like earlier versions.

And the start menu doesn't look any different either.

What I don't really like is those "libraries" I see in Windows Explorer.

yeah its only u man how can u like the uac settings on vista

I don't know one other person who likes Vista better than 7. For that matter I don't even know anyone who likes Vista.

I just don't like the way 7 is setup, it feels like they tried to do too much. I'm on W7 here at work but at home I have already gone back to Vista. Soon as I get a chance I'll be moving this computer back to Vista as well.

EDIT: Also, I *REALLY* hate the new taskbar and start menu in 7.

What I don't really like is those "libraries" I see in Windows Explorer.

the libaries are a lot more useful in a domain setting as they can all be redirected and set to gather from multiple locations e.g i get the music libary to pull from my USB HDD, the local music profile, the public profile, and a folder in that users network home.

I think vista is better than windows 7 to people don't like vista because they don't have enough ram and with out a good amount of ram you can't get the full expereance out of vista plus windows 7 is to bulk'y

plus windows 7 is to bulk'y

Bulky compared to what? If the computer has sufficient ram and hd space who cares how bulky it is? My PC has 5 GIG RAM and 64-bit Win7 runs just fine with it.

Hi Ancient Dragon,
You might need to start a new thread to accommodate all the other diets that others may suggest, but can you tell us something about your diet that has allowed you to shed 4.8 lbs in just over 3 weeks. I assume that 4.8lbs is the latest figure.

no not the size like gb like size like how big the task bar is and it just a fatty like windows xp's defual theme
but I love the xp royal theme uuuuuuga

windows 7 is to bulk'y

Um, its much lighter?

All the work undertaken to make windows more modular during the server 2008 lifecycle (in order to reduce its attack surface) was applied to win7 so that it will scale better.

I have a new laptop running Win 7 64 bit and it's really great. My old laptop had Vista and I lived with that for three years. I have machines with Win 98 and XP and I also ran my old laptop on XP for a while. There are some differences between the different Operating Systems but the interface is really pretty similar so I don't find that I need any major re-adjustment moving from one to the other. There is obviously an element of personal approach in this depending how much you come to like a certain way of doing things in one version or the other.

It isn't a totally fair comparison (given the newer machine that's faster with more memory) but I have to say that Win7 is so much quicker than Vista (and quicker than XP as well given the newer hardware) that I have zero interest in using anything else. I'm amazed when it starts up and shuts down how quick it really is.

There are a couple of free utilities available that provide additional (menu) customization features that mostly borrow from the Mac:

* You can create 'stacks' with 7stack,
* You can customize a 'dock' using Objectdock (from StarDock)

I also have 'Desktops' (from Sysinternals) that allows me to run up to 4 virtual desktops and flip back and forth. There are a number of these utilities out there. This one runs fine in the 64 bit environment (and I'm not so sure about some of the others). I also tried VistaSwitcher that gives you a fancy visual menu of what's currently running (using Alt-Tab).

Over time, I'll figure out of any of these utilities add enough additional functionality that I will want to use them regularly in place of the native Win7 facilities. I was running WindowBlinds for visual appeal with XP but I haven't migrated it to Win7 because it might slow it down and 'm ok with the Win7 look.

All in all, I am Win7 fan. After Vista, I was prepared to be disappointed with Microsoft again but this time I think that they got it right.

Chris

I also have 'Desktops' (from Sysinternals) that allows me to run up to 4 virtual desktops and flip back and forth. There are a number of these utilities out there. This one runs fine in the 64 bit environment (and I'm not so sure about some of the others). I also tried VistaSwitcher that gives you a fancy visual menu of what's currently running (using Alt-Tab).

Those two features were also MS powertoys for XP, oddly.

Yep! You're out there in that itty bitty boat by your self. My W-7 64bit uplift from vista runs faster than v ever did on same 2gig & same hardware. W-7 leaves Me alone unless something silly happens. Right now AVG,Microsoft security ess. running full scans & Real player music player playing full stereo on my head phones while browsing with Fire Fox 3.6, not a skip or stutter. This would have given v total fits. Good Riddance vista!! Later---

I have Vista on 2 computers and W7 on two.I prefer Vista because I have "never" had a problem with the OS and I like its looks better thanW7.Not everyone hated Vista and not everyone had problems with it.

I have Vista on 2 computers and W7 on two.I prefer Vista because I have "never" had a problem with the OS and I like its looks better thanW7.Not everyone hated Vista and not everyone had problems with it.

i agree ,but then i never had vista ,but i do like win7, my wife's laptop has Vista and it has no issues at all.
i think the biggest reason being the laptop was built for Vista,unlike the computers that people who had problems with Vista,my opinion anyway ,i think most who had problems,upgrade from winxp or even 98,or had problems with old hardware and software and blamed it on Vista,Vista or even win7 are best on new computer with new HW and SoftWare

I am just wondering what everyone will be saying about Windows 7 when the next version of Windows is released!!

They seem to be very similar OS's. I guess the main diff is visually, I don't know much about the engines/internal workings but they can't be all that different form one another because pretty much every program will run on both of them.

If I had to choose though I'd choose XP ;D

I am just wondering what everyone will be saying about Windows 7 when the next version of Windows is released!!

Probably the same things they said when the dos screen was replaced & 95 came out& 98 & SE & on & on! I ain't buyin a patch made to look like a new OS. This new thing is awesome/junk/how do I move back/the bestus ever, you been around awhile heard the waa& ooo-ooos it wont change some will rant some will rave.Later---

I hadn't used Vista, but I use W7 now and I love it :)

I like Vista > Win7 for many reasons. 2 main ones: start menu looks better in Vista, and I don't have to deal with the stupid Ribbon GUI in Vista (that large bar of useless crap in many programs - paint, MS Office, etc - in Win7).

commented: for resurrecting a 3 year zombie thread -1

Please check the dates on threads before posting. This thread is more than two years old. Resurrecting old threads may result in infractions.

No.Some still like Vista.
But I prefer Windows7.

But this is Technology and you will have to accept the changes in it. You have to move with the trend man if you are Tech guy....

No, you are not. Windows Vista has a lot more features then 7 does!
Oh yeah, just Google windows vista is better than windows 7

Vista is wonderful, I love it! If it wasn't for all the problems it has I'd have a lot less work!

If you don't like Windows 7 then I can't wait to hear what you think of Windows 8 :)

any who says vist is better than win7 ,never used win7 .

Rik ,you would have made no money off my Wife,here Toshiba D350[i think might have been a 550] laptop ran win vist for 4 years ,orignal install with no problems,except the motherboard or cpu died last week with out warning

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.