I own a Gateway FX 7805. It originally installed Vista with a recovery partition. As a student I purchased from my school, a Windows 7 Ultimate installation disc. I restored back to factory default settings with the Gateway Recovery Management menu Recover(tab)_Restore System to Factory Default. Then I installed Windows 7 after my computer had been cleaned. My computer recently was infected with a "Win 7 2012" fake malware. I system restored to remove the problem and wanted to do another Factory Default wipe. I was planning on doing this prior to the virus anyway. In Windows 7 I select Gateway Recovery Management and select Restore System to Factory Default. This is where my problem begins. The computer simply restarts without prompting or beginning the recovery process. My attempts to try and access system restore at startup do not work (cannot hit alt + f10 or any other button to prompt a system restore). I think the load menu changed in the switch between Vista and Windows 7. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thank you in advance. It's extremely important to me because I use my computer extensively for school work but didn't have the common sense to learn more about computers. I thought there was something wrong with my computer after installing Windows 7 when it would not properly restart after applying updates. I think that my problem might be caused by the upgrade to Windows 7, in which I think the original partition was removed, wiped or damaged, possibly by virus and I may have to create recovery disc specifically for my new Windows 7 operating sytem. I had assumed that the partition which is still there based on the fact that my 320gb hard drive still allocates space to the recovery partition. Again any help would be greatly appreciated.

The best way to install windows 7 is to do a clean install. That is to say backup all your document files and drivers and then format the hard drive to do a clean install.

If you boot from the windows 7 DVD you can use the "repair this computer" option and it will go through and repair your computer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.