Hi,

I recently came across something on my hard drive that I have never seen before. Rather than talk myself in circles trying to explain the issue, I will just show you the output from fciv.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C:\Windows\system32>dir *spool*
Volume in drive C is Okra Pod1
Volume Serial Number is BEF7-0EE3

Directory of C:\Windows\system32

11/02/2006 09:30 AM <DIR> spool
01/20/2008 08:49 PM 241,664 spoolss.dll
01/20/2008 08:49 PM 267,264 spoolsv.exe
01/20/2008 08:50 PM 341,504 winspool.drv
3 File(s) 850,432 bytes
1 Dir(s) 919,326,117,888 bytes free

C:\Windows\system32>fciv c:\windows\system32\spoolsv.exe
//
// File Checksum Integrity Verifier version 2.05.
//
c:\windows\system32\spoolsv.exe\*
Error msg : The system cannot find the path specified.
Error code : 3
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You will notice that I am able to list the file "spoolsv.exe" but I am unable to touch it or do anything with it. It is there but it isn't.

I have read on a few other sites that suggest that "spoolsv.exe" is possibly part of a malware infection but I have never seen anything that said that it is definite. I thought I would post in here first just in case it is a system configuration issue.

I am using Vista Home Premium x64 and can provide more info if needed.

If I have posted in the wrong place, just let me know.

Thank you,

Jim

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

spoolsv.exe is Window's print spooler service which handles print and fax jobs.

If you think you have a virus use an antivirus software to scan your system.

commented: It is better to keep your mouth closed and appear ignormant, than open it an remove all doubt. +0

Got a descent answer on another forum. Thread can be closed.

Jim

Hi Jim,
Could you share that answer with others here and then mark this thread as closed. You will see an place down the bottom of this window. "Mark thread as closed"

Hello Bob,

I can appreciate your request. The lack of response with the exception of one smart a$$ makes me wonder, "why should I"? Noboday seemed to want to help me out, why should I help them? I don't really see much use for this forum so the admin can remove my membership along with the thread. I don't see me coming back here to look for answers (or share any).

Jim

Hi Jim,
Could you share that answer with others here and then mark this thread as closed. You will see an place down the bottom of this window. "Mark thread as closed"

If I have posted in the wrong place, just let me know.

Thank you,

Jim

you posted in the wrong section ,should have been in viruses and other nastiest section

Hi Jim,

sure bob p-ss off another great American.lol

Hello Bob,
I can appreciate your request. The lack of response with the exception of one smart a$$ makes me wonder, "why should I"? Noboday seemed to want to help me out, why should I help them? I don't really see much use for this forum so the admin can remove my membership along with the thread. I don't see me coming back here to look for answers (or share any).

Jim

spoolsv.exe is Window's print spooler service which handles print and fax jobs.

If you think you have a virus use an antivirus software to scan your system.

Hi Jim,
I really don't think it was anything but an attempt to assist you with your question. I feel sure that the poster had no intention of doing anything else but trying to help. To me it is a sensible answer to your request. I looked at you post after replied to you and I decided to wait for your reply to his suggestion about a virus scan before I would even think of butting in.
I will speak to the management here and see if his wages can be deducted for a reply that you feel was not warranted and was an attempt to belittle you. I will also ask that you posting fee be refunded as it cost so much to post here to be helped by us uncaring volunteers. OH! Thats right, no one here gets paid and it cost you nothing, how silly of me.
I am sincerely sorry that you feel the way you do, as no one here had any intention of ignoring your request or belittling you in any way. I am sure that the moderators will keep your membership open so that you can come back any time with a request for help and the willing volunteers here will try to assist you as much as they can from the information you supply.
Again, please accept my apologies for your perceived lack of assistance and bad answer.

PS. An answer posted here as to how you resolved your problem would not be for the people here that try to assist others, but for others that search online for an answer, find your post with the same problem as they have, and look for the answer to fix their problem. But it is your choice if you want to help others, as it is the choice of those here, if they want to hep others.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.