I have been given a belkin network starter kit (f5d9001)
and have attached the hardware to both pc's (both are running winxp home edition) I have not attached the WOL lines as there is nowhere to attach them to on either mother board.
My problem is setting up the software so that 1 pc is a server with broadband connection and the other is a slave so it connects to the internet via the server.
All I get is network not found or cable is unplugged when it isn't

Can someone help me resolve this problem please?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

First, if you're getting a cable unplugged message, then the two network cards are not connected. Make sure the cable you have connecting them is a crossover cable. If it's not clearly marked, hold the two plugs up side by side and compare the wire colors. On a crossover cable the 1&2 wires (counting from the left side) and the 3&6 wires will be reversed. On a standard cable all the wires will be the same on each plug.

The wire is the one supplied in the kit, ergo it is the correct one.
anyone please!

The wire is the one supplied in the kit, ergo it is the correct one.

Well, you have more faith in packaging than I do. You only have 3 pieces to the kit, 2 network cards and a cable. The network unplugged message means that the 2 network cards are not seeing each other. You do not need any network configurations set up before they should recognize that they are plugged in. You can not setup any of the other stuff until they see each other. So if the cable's great, then one of the network cards is bad. Take your pick. You don't need the wake on lan connection for the cards to work, it's an extra option.

When you installed the cards they should show up as a "Local Area Connection" in Network Connections in the Control Panel. Right click the "Local Area Connection" of the card you've installed and go to "Properties". From there you should be on the "General" tab...there it should show the card you're using and an option to "Configure". Click the option to configure and go to the "Advanced" tab. There you will find multiple "Property" and "Value" fields...one of the properties being something along the lines of "link speed and duplex", you'll know you have it because the value will have options like "Autoselect" or "100MB Full Duplex". Make sure this setting is the same on both comps, try changing from Autoselect to 100MB Full Duplex, try all the settings but make sure it's the same on both...see if any of these connect. If it still doesn't work after that you've most likely got some sort of hardware problem. That networking kit should have come with a crossover but you might want to make sure that it actually is a crossover since that would be a likely culprit for the problem.

I have been given a belkin network starter kit (f5d9001)
and have attached the hardware to both pc's (both are running winxp home edition) I have not attached the WOL lines as there is nowhere to attach them to on either mother board.
My problem is setting up the software so that 1 pc is a server with broadband connection and the other is a slave so it connects to the internet via the server.
All I get is network not found or cable is unplugged when it isn't

Can someone help me resolve this problem please?

I don't have belkin router can activade for me i arieady join daniweb.com

belkin network starter kit (f5d9001) is no longer available; maybe that's why you were given it. Just get suitable router for networking and internet access.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.