Hi All,
I have a new (3 weeks) NetGear WGR614 v4 G wireless network
running on two Windows 98 machines. I can access the net with
no problems from both machines, but the machine with the card
in it can not access my printer. And now I can not access either of the harddrives from network neighborhood from either of the machines. When I first set these up everything was fine, Printer
sharing moving files from harddrive to harddrive, now I can not
do any of this but the net sharing is fine and I have not changed a thing from original setup. And the machine with the card in it
when I am in network neighborhood, I can see the other computer but when I ckick on it it says (computer name) is
not accessible and when I try to use the printer I get kinda the same message. So I am not sure what the heck happened. Also I can access the computer with the card in it by going to start then run and typing in the computer name and directory that I want to access.

But could someone please help and show how to setup a basic
peer to peer wireless network, and as far as I can tell both computers are setup exactly the same, so what am I missing.

Thank you in advance for any light you can help shed on this problem.

Paint

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I'm not sure what you mean by the computer with the "the card" in it. Don't both computers have wireless cards? You might check both computers in the network setup box, see if any protocols other than tcpip are installed. Windows 98 machines will bind to one protocol on startup and it's not consistant. If you find NetBUIE in there, remove it. You only need tcpip. To get to the network setup just right click on Network Neighborhood and select properties. Also, check that your workgroup name hasn't been changed. If both computers are connecting to the router and able to access the Internet properly, then as far as the wireless settings are concerned, it should work.

No only 1 computer has a card in it the other box has the router
on it so no need for a card there, and yes only tcpip is installed.
Thats why I am confussed I have done this a couple of dozen times.

Paint

Ok, so you have one computer directly connected to the router with an ethernet card and one connected via wireless and they both can use the Internet and can see but not each other. Hmmmm can you try connecting the wireless pc directly to the router via ethernet cable just to see what happens? You also might just try removing file and print sharing from both pcs then reboot and reinstall it and recreate your shares and see what happens. Also you can try adding the printer again in the second machine. If a printer share is deleted and then recreated with the same name, anything using that share is broken. By the way, I'm sure you already checked this, but a lot of times my users accidentally enable something like Norton Antivirus Internet protection and it breaks all their local connectivity. Just some thoughts. Usually when I've done something lots of times and then it suddenly doesn't work right and I pull my hair, it turns out to be something really simple that I overlooked.

Ok thanks, all good suggestions I will give it a shot and see what
happens. Thanks and I will let you know the out come. :)

Thanks
Paint

A friend with a reputation as a guru :rolleyes: attempted to tell a restricted wireless network my NetGear IP address so I could connect. In the process he removed my card from the Startup menu. When I start the computer, I now have to go into My Programs etc. etc. How do I get it back so it shows up in the task bar?

A friend with a reputation as a guru :rolleyes: attempted to tell a restricted wireless network my NetGear IP address so I could connect. In the process he removed my card from the Startup menu. When I start the computer, I now have to go into My Programs etc. etc. How do I get it back so it shows up in the task bar?

hey...do you have a Netgear WGR614 v4??? I lost my CD with software...would you share software??? Thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.