Hi,

I've a LAN of 6 PCs. All PCs have WIN XP installed. I've workgroup for these PCs. I want to share a folder on LAN which will have password protection. Is it possible?

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

hi, using password in shared folder is one thing i don't know, but there's an option in local security policy that you can set, which user to log-on and access your shared folder on the network, go to administrative tools, click on local security policy, then a new window will pop-up, click on local policies, then click on user right assignments, after clicking these you can see a lot of policy, to your problem edit this policy "access this computer from the network" set the user in which you just want to access your computer on the network, or if you want you can just hide your shared folders by adding dollar sign at the end of the file name of your folder...hope this helps.. BE CAREFUL IN EDITING POLICY LATER YOU FORGOT WHAT YOU EDIT THEN YOURSELF MAY THE VICTIM OF THE RESTRICTION YOU SET...

Hi,

Thanks for reply. I've read the help on that topic but everything is related to Domain not to Workgroup. Whether it'll work for Workgroup also.

its easy

Run the "home networking wizard" on the side panel under network connections

specify your workgroup there, and it will share the "shared folders" directory and any printers you have.

you can then share addition folders by right clciking them and choosing sharing and security - passwords are under there

XP HOME HAS NO PASSWORDS!

Hi,
Sorry for not specifying that I've WIN XP Professional installed on each PC in network. Currently I can access any PC in LAN. But I want some folders should be password protected or have limited access.

just try I think it will work for workgroup...

It worked i n workgroups on windows 9x

I think that to use workgroups on XP pro you need to enable "Simple File Sharing"

Howto set password for folder shared in LAN Reply to Thread

vista and xp doesnot ping eachother

Howto set password for folder shared in LAN Reply to Thread

xp and vista doesn't ping each other

hi ...
you can set password on shared folder in workgroup enviroment .....

1. creat a new user ...with password
2 go to folder sharing option ... and click on security TAb ....
3. Add created user in securtiy tab..
4 . Share desired folder..
5. then ok

Access this folder to other pc .... it will appear pasword windows ....
place user name and password ..... ..
folder will be access

thx...

Hi,

I've a LAN of 6 PCs. All PCs have WIN XP installed. I've workgroup for these PCs. I want to share a folder on LAN which will have password protection. Is it possible?

hi
check firewall option on lan .... disable firewall option on both end (xp and vista)..... and ip classes will be same ....

ping will be start both end ......

xp and vista doesn't ping each other

How can I access any PC that falls within my LAN? Am an administrator but dont know how. Pliz Help.

i recommend you set up a FTP server since you have 6 machines.

Go to Start>Settings>Control Panel. Double click on User accounts. Change your password so that it is different than the other computers.

Now right-click on the folder you want to share and click "Sharing and security". Click "permissions". Remove "everyone" and click "add" and type in your username under "Enter object names to select".

just disable the simple sharing from tools menu "folder options".

Good article, I share correctly with the new user and password but I get a cannot access error on the other computer. I am going to check compatibility of the other computers (might be windows xp home).

2. Add created user in securtiy tab..
  3. then ok

folder will be access

2. Add created user in securtiy tab..
  3. then ok

folder will be access

For windows XP:The sharing machine must set a user account and a password, disable everyone access permission and set authenticated user, put specified users into the authenticated user group. And if the user on the remote machine can login with a user name that exists on the sharing machine and the passwords match, then that user is authenticated to access the folder. That’s to say, the admin of sharing machine must ask owners of remote machine to create this account on their machines if they want to access the folder.
For Windows 7/8:Their folder protection doesn’t use means of passwords for a shared folder but user authentication, which generally demands a correct username and a match password to logon to a Windows system.
For windows XP/7/8/Vistar...:Use Kakasoft shared folder to set different users and passwords with different permissions to password protect shared folder on LAN (such as user 1 with password 1 have full permissions: reading, writing, deleting...; use 2 with password 2 only have reading permission...).

Such an old post.
You can use the shared folder protection app to set password for every folders in the LAN. For example kakasoft shared folder proteciton software, it allows you to password protect some folders on LAN and assign different permissions to different accounts.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.