Member Avatar for jackstar

Hi I am new to the forum and have a problem with internet connection. My old router works well with my XP windows system (ie computer spoke to router and in turn it speaks to internet). Could not hook up the new laptop (Windows Vista) so got a new router (Belkin) and now both connect machines connect to router but both will not connect to internet. Does it have something to do with ISP? At my wits end to sort it.
Grateful for any advice
Jackstar

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Welcome to the forums!
Which model router did you get?

Also, can you do the following (on both computers) and post your output:

start->run...->type cmd->OK

type "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes) and hit enter. Post the output of this command and we'll have a look.

Hi, I'm not sure why you chose to change router? If it works with XP it will work with Vista. Does the old router still work with XP?

If it does, then the problem with the Vista PC not connecting is with the settings on the Vista PC. In the first instance, check that it is set to receive dynamic IP address.

As for the new router, I suspect that it is not configured for your ISP. Your ISP would most likely have provided a CD or written instructions that include configuration instructions. You will need to connect a cable (if it isn't already connected) and access the admin screen. Instructions for this are with the router manual.

Please answer the question regarding using the old router still working with XP and I will help with whichever route (ha ha) we take.

Thanks Duki for your quick response.

The modem is a Belkin Wireless G Router Model no F5D7230-4

The two IPCONFIG commands you requested gave the following output;

VISTA LAPTOP

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Co>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Tierney2
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-E2-CF-26-75
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet
NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-EC-83-42-EC
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 14:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6TO4 Adapter

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 16:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

C:\Users\Co>
[
WINDOWS XP LAPTOP[/U]

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jacky>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Tierney1
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Networ
k Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-02-5A-E8-CE
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 203.31.48.7
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, 25 August 2008 10:05:58 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, 28 August 2008 10:05:58 PM

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-D4-33-03-4E

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth LAN Access Server Driver
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-41-7E-A9-23

C:\Documents and Settings\Jacky>

If you solve this I will be forever grateful I also have another computer to hook up running Windows XP also(cannot provide the config for that one just now) happy to get these two sorted first.

Cheers
Jackstar

Thanks for the output Jackstar,

The VISTA computer doesn't show an IP address tied to the networking card. Make sure your network connection is enabled on the vista computer.

To enable your connection:
1. go to control panel > network and internet > network connections.

2. select the connection you want to modify.

3. right-click and click enable (if it's already enabled this won't be an option)

Also make sure you're getting flashing lights from your networking card to make sure the cable is connected good. I see a couple that say "Media Disconnected" which means your networking cable may not be connected right.

Let me know if any of this helps.

thanks duki may not hget to this before sunday but will take a look. does it matter that i would not have been connected when i sent through the ipconfig? Also had not thought i had to have the actal cable connected. I have tried so many things I am just getting confused
many thanks
Jackstar

It's not a bad idea to connect via cable to check whether you can connect but you can disable either the wireless connection or the cable connection individually to test them. But in this case, Duki is telling you to enable your wireless card.

In the ipconfig /all report there are listings for several different adapters, take a look - Wireless Adapter, Ethernet Adapter, Tunnel Adapter. None of them are enabled. To get wireless going you have to enable your wireless card. You will then see that section in the ipconfig /all report say Enabled.

Right click on My Network Places and choose properties. Then, right click on Wireless Network Connection and you will see "enable". Click on that and if everything is set up correctly, you should be on...

Many thanks to you all for the advice.

saw the report in ipconfig enabling the wireless card and the lights are all on but essentially the computer symbol has a clear line to the router in the picture then a X to the internet. All seems ok but I am sorry my skills levels are not superior enough to continue with this.

I am going to =try and find some technician to come in and sort it, before i go insane.

The XP windows systems has no trouble linking to the net on the netgear router. This connection has always worked perfectly. I cannot get the vista one on this router I am wondering if you know anything about passkey password resettings because ever since i secured the router no vista system can connect to it. I have tried putting in the password i believe but the password does not work. I assumed this to be the problem a few months back when we tried connecting another vista laptop to it hence my decided to buy a new router (belkin)

I ran the www.google.com from my command prompt (both XP windows laptop and the vista) the xp was even connected to the internet at present and that command returns this message
www.google is not recognised as an internal or external command operation, operable program or batch file.
The vista as well.

Anyway again thanks, I just want my three computers to talk to the internet so will let the fingers do the walking so to speak.

Cheers

Hi, if the router is connected to the Internet on XP then the problem is with how Vista is connecting to the router. When you have the router connected on XP check the lights and look for one that says Internet or something similar then check if this light is on when using Vista. You will probably see that it is.
What password are you changing? Is it for your WiFi or for the router?
To properly test your Vista you should connect to the router with a cable. If it works with the cable then we can look at your Wireless set up.
Finally, the test from the command prompt is "ping www.google.com". You are missing the "ping" which is why you are getting the error message. Type "ping www.google.com" without the quotes.
Good luck
Please also see my previous post #3 above.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.