Can someone shed some light on this.. XP Pro Problem I have.

My Kids installed Kazoa and Limeware, they were causing a strange problem with my internet connection. for some reason I had a connection called "internet gateway" in my "network connections" folder and I could not get rid of it, My network Packets were building out of control ( like a broadcast storm) my system was as slow as malassas in january and the total network was as slow.
My network is a Netgear FVS318 VPN Firewall Router. on a DSL connection so I could not see any reason to have ICS gateway running.
Anyway after I had uninstalled these programs, I can no longer browse my network.

When I click "View Workgroup computer" in "My network places"
I get this error.....
[img]http://www.wieduwilt.us/wg-error.jpg[/img]

Any ideas' !!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

KAzaa and Limewire by them selfs shodnt do anything odd.

however things they download from them can.

First i suggest removing Kazaa and Limewire from your computer.

now a connection called internet gateway doesnt sound like anything weird it sounds like your device that you connect to to connect to the internet, however i dont know the full story behind anything else.

also run spyboy search and destroy plus adaware and do some house cleaning

KAzaa and Limewire by them selfs shodnt do anything odd.

however things they download from them can.

First i suggest removing Kazaa and Limewire from your computer.

Correct, I uninstalled them and a bot killer and adware remover and all was ok.

now a connection called internet gateway doesnt sound like anything weird it sounds like your device that you connect to to connect to the internet, however i dont know the full story behind anything else.

The Internet gateway connection was generating about 5000 packet transmits per second, on my Nic card jamming up my network and slowing down my pc to a crawl. After uninstalliong the Peer Sharing Apps and disableing the Internet gateway all of that activity stopped.

So now I am back to the current issue, Why is it that I can't browse the Network?, but I have full access to the internet and I can create "Net Use X: \\Server\Cdrive " connections fine.

My Master browser Service Is running and netbios over tcpip is checked.

who originaly created MSHOME?

My Master browser Service Is running and netbios over tcpip is checked.

Restart the service on all of the workgroup PCs.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.