hello everyone i am new to networking and have a simple question. I have bought a network switch and have a question.

With the switch that i bought can i connect my dsl modem to it and that automatically gives all the computers on my network internet access?

Here is the switch that i bought:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=493879&Sku=L48-1160

If not would i need to hook up a router then the modem through a port on the switch?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

This should work ok from a 'wiring' point of view if I read what you say correctly.

Your Current Setup
Modem<----ethernet------>PC

New Setup With Switch
Modem<----ethernet------>Switch<---ethernet----->PC

You modem should assign IP addresses/routes/DNS settings to each PC so it all should work...

Mo.

go command prompt type ipconfig /all check your ip configuration.. whether the computers on your network are configured properly..

As long as your DSL modem serves out DHCP (IP addresses) you'll be all set. If your modem doesn't serve DHCP, then you'll need a router. Something like a Linksys WRT54 series is a good WiFi enable residential router. You may have issues with double NAT using that setup, but if that is the case your ISP can place the DSL modem into bridge mode and you can DMZ the router. Googling any of that will yield numerous howtos in case you need to do so.
-Jack

commented: Bingo. Direct and correct answer to OP's question. +2
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.