Ok I'm using a Netgear Wireless G mimo router and I'm connected to the internet... here is my speeds.
[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/218138200.png[/IMG]
I can connect to the same network using a different computer and get down speeds of like 12,000 kb/sec. I'm not sharing my computer's connection with any other devices... I'm not sure what the problem could be! I know it's really vague information but is there any steps I can take to completely reset my IP? I have tried to repair the connection, same speeds. there are no background apps running that are stealing my speeds. I am using a wireless connection on my PC using Hardware less than a month old and I have gotten speeds in the 12000 kb/sec range using it before. When I connect it says that I'm using channel 6, which it doesn't allow me to change. There are 2 other computers connected to it and like 4 xbox 360's, none of which are being used right now. I've turned my firewall off, same speed. I just need some ideas of else could be causing this! Any help, even small suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

>>>I'm not sharing my computer's connection with any other devices
but you have 2 other PC and 4 xbox i would say that is sharing
When you reply please answer these questions
are you using DSL or Cable internet access?
are you getting the same speed on the other computers?

Xbox Connected and turned on, but not being used is still using bandwidth, resetting the ip is virtually impossible, you get your IP from a DHCP server controlled by your ISP, lease expires on IP address every 24 hours, automatically renewed by the DHCP server, 99:1 chance you will get back the same ip when it is renewed.

Hi,

A few things to check, any of which could be slowing you down

1) viruses,
2) spyware
3) empty the cache
4) lack of disk space
5) disk needs defragging
6) too many temporary files.
7) lack of memory

These are a few to start you off - given time I'll think of a few more, as no doubt others will.

Denis

so through the router the speeds are slower then the same line, ISP and internet account connected to a single PC, right?

1. make sure you are not running bandwisth-heavy services like emule, torrent etc.
2. call ISP - they might have a ready solution
3. call router's support
4. in the router's settings, try to lower the MTU (last resort)

a good idea of troubleshooting would be to use test the speed with the same machine connected directly to the line, and then behind the router (without the other equipment you have there)

Alright I've run a full virus and adware scan... clean.
I cleared all of my temp internet files.
I defraged.
I have 1 mb of RAM, im sure that is enough...

I recently used this program speedupmypc... it sounded lame but had good reviews... unfortunately it really was lame lol. It did some sort of deep memory recovery BS I'm not sure what it was, could that be the problem?

Yup - could be the problem - Try doing a system restore to the day before you ran the program.

(Programs, accessories,system tools, restore in case you don't know where to find it in XP)

Denis

ah that was the problem thanks Denis!

Thanks for letting us know - glad you are sorted.

Denis

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.