I have a client who just upgraded 3 networked systems and though each can access the internet ok and see each other on his lan they can't access each other. attached is the info and I see he has a static ip. I did a release/renew no luck. he says he isn't paying for a static ip. his service is verizon dsl via a westell 327w wifi router. would I need to have them provision his service for dynamic to resume communication between the units? any help is greatly appreciated. thanks

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

what kind of firewall and antivirus does he have running? Does he have Norton's, which can cause this issue?

Most firewall software interferes with networking by default. Make sure this network is set to "trusted" or go into the "rules" or "exceptions" section of the firewall settings and make set a "trusted" IP range for the systems he wants to interconnect.

mcafee antivirus suite 2008, windows wall is off. I'll check mcafee settings.

disabled mcafee firewall on each pc, rebooted, same thing.

what do yuo mean by "access"? the smb shares? or they can't ping each other or what?

can't ping each other, times out.

Usually that points to a software firewall issue. But you said you have disabled those.

If it isn't the firewall, then I'm stumped.

I have a client who just upgraded 3 networked systems and though each can access the internet ok and see each other on his lan they can't access each other. attached is the info and I see he has a static ip. I did a release/renew no luck. he says he isn't paying for a static ip. his service is verizon dsl via a westell 327w wifi router. would I need to have them provision his service for dynamic to resume communication between the units? any help is greatly appreciated. thanks

Get access to His router and see if you can activate the DHCP function on the LAN side of the connection.
Thanks

You said he just upgraded the systems - what exactly did he upgrade? Hardware, software? Was the upgrade done on all 3 machines, was it done on a single router, what exactly? The problem obviously is related to the upgrade, so find out what exactly was upgraded, and what was changed, and report back.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.